Author Topic: Soundproofing exhibits within a rented warehouse  (Read 3484 times)

enj

Soundproofing exhibits within a rented warehouse
« on: December 31, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »
Hi,
I am planning on making a show with 6 different exhibits in a 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse with a 20 ft. ceiling. Each exhibit will have plenty of noise on it's own, (music, special fx, kids voices) and I want to run the exhibits simultaniously.
Right now as to be expected there is a huge echo in the room.

My solutions seem to start here:
1. Cordon off the biggest noise making areas by hanging thick fabric or carpeting from the ceiling.
2. Put carpeting on the floors and cover each exhibit to reduce noise bounce
3. Surround each exhibit with some sort of soundproofing material
4. I've heard of pumping sound into the speakers with the opposite soundwave of the ajoining room and that is supposed to equal out the noise.

The only restriction I am working with is that I don't have an unlimited budget, and the show is in two months. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including pointing me to consultants that work in this area of expertise, I am in the NY / NJ area.

Thanks

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing exhibits within a rented warehouse
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 11:08:44 PM »
On items 1,2 and 3:  Yes, all those things will help.

On #4: Forget it.  Except for headphones and specialty applications, noise cancellation is still just science fiction (at least for us civilians - can't speak for the military or intelligence services.) 

joel

Re: Soundproofing exhibits within a rented warehouse
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
Hello enj,

I agree, all but item #4 is practical.  Many show booth makers use pressed fiberglass panels with an open weave fabric cover (flame retardant of course) to absorb sound within an exhibit.  Some use our SSP Mat.  For info on SSP Mat see http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html 

Joel