Author Topic: basement ceiling (please help)  (Read 5360 times)

ambrocked

basement ceiling (please help)
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:08:16 AM »
Hi! My boyfriend and I are moving into my mom's basement (don't laugh- it's so we can afford to go to school ;)), and I need some soundproofing advice.  He's a dj, and likes to play his music loud.  Right now, as it stands, the basement has a concrete floor, unfinished ceiling, and the walls are studded, insulated, and covered with plastic sheets. We're planning to add a drop-tile ceiling, carpet, and drywall.  We're also planning on creating a small enclosed space in which to put his turntable set-up. From what I've gathered on this forum, 1)there are no cheap solutions, 2)egg cartons do NOT work, 3)there are no cheap solutions, 4)sealing an area is key, 5)there are no cheap solutions, 6)double walls are good (the thicker, the better), and, oh yeah, 7)there are no cheap solutions.  ;D  We're going to look into getting a solid door for the 'studio,' but the biggest concern is the sound going up through the ceiling.  I was thinking that putting a thick layer of insulation (you know, the fluffy pink stuff) between the drop-ceiling and the actual ceiling would be a big help, but now I'm doubting that after reading the 'myths.' Can someone explain to me WHY this wouldn't work? And what would be the cheapEST solution to this problem? I should probably also mention that we're mostly concerned about deadening bass (but the rest of the spectrum would be helpful too). And PLEASE, if anyone has any advice to offer, I know a bit about music but nothing about soundproofing (obviously), so avoid industry-speak if possible (or at least explain what you mean, please!). Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

johnbergstromslc

Re: basement ceiling (please help)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:50:52 AM »
The 'cheapest' solution is not to make the noise in the first place.  Maybe you should focus on school (so, someday, you can make more money and get your own place) and not piss off the person putting a roof over your head.  Just some friendly advice.....

Those drop ceilings are not designed to block the passage of sound, just to absorb any reverberation/echo in the space.  They will help the acoustics of the basement, but do little or nothing to keep the sound from disturbing the rest of the house.  Underfloor insulation is the same deal - mainly to absorb noise and kill resonances - assuming you have it in a sealed cavity.  You need mass (heavy drywall) and decoupling (resilient channels/isolation clips) and sealing in addition to insulation.

So it comes back to the recurring problem I've seen on this forum; you want to make an ungodly amount of noise, but you also want to completely isolate your noise from adjoining spaces, while spending little or no money.  Do you think this is a realistic possibility?

Me neither.

You are right; there are no cheap solutions - ones that work, anyway.   

wjoe

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
I have done this in the past and plan to do it again on a larger scale-it is not so much expensive as it is labor intensive- I built a very small space (just enough for me and my drums) in my parents basement- the end result was that I was able to practice any time I wanted without disturbing my parent even if they were sleeping only one floor above. I 1st took care of the existing ceiling-one layer of sound board then one layer of sheetrock I ran this over and out past the area I was planning on building my room. I then built my room inside the existing room the only contact point was the floor. I build my 4 walls and ceiling on the floor - stacked on top of each other (again this was a small 8' x 8' room -the cileing hight ended up being about 6'8") I will have to do some work to figure out how to do this on a larger scale- I put a layer of sound board and sheet rook on the outside of the walls and top side of the cieling that woud be faceing the existing cieling. Then I lifted up the ceiling with the help of some freinds and then put my walls in place. I insulated the walls and cieling with regular batt insulation and then another layer of sound board and sheetrock on the inside. I put in 2 solid core doors one opening in and one opening out- My goal was to be as soundproof as I could so I did not care about a/c or heat so there was none. I put in one 4 gang electrical box and ran a lamp and fan off that-I finshed the inside with some acoustic tiles to deaden the inside and I was good to go

ambrocked

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »
Yeah, you're right, giving up one's true passion is a GREAT way to help get through school.  And I didn't say anything about "spending little to no money," we just don't want to spend thousands.

Thank you wjoe, it sounds like this is exactly what we need! It took me a moment to picture what you were talking about, but I've got it, and I think it'll work perfectly with our space.  Thanks for taking the time to explain!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:42:07 AM »
Yes, eventually your 'hobby' (call it your "passion" if you like) will be second priority to making a living (and not losing the roof over your head).  Sucks being a grown-up, don't it?