Author Topic: Soundproofing a Finished Basement  (Read 5168 times)

dbtech

Soundproofing a Finished Basement
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:32:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My band practices in my basement and I would like to find a way to reduce the sound transmission to the upper floors as much as possible. The basement has one large room (where we practice), three smaller rooms and a bathroom. I own the house so alterations are not too much of a problem.

The basement is finished and 90% below ground. I live in the mountains and the ceiling is sheetrocked with batt insulation inside the floor joists. I realize that there is no such thing as "inexpensive" or "low cost" soundproofing, but I'm open to all suggestions. If at all possible, I would like to avoid tearing out the walls/ceiling. If that's not possible, would there be a way to return the appearance to normal if demolition was unavoidable? I may want to sell the house someday. Being totally cluless, I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing a Finished Basement
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:03:46 PM »
Everyone is so scared of doing demolition.  Tearing down drywall is infinitely faster than putting it up, mudding, taping and painting.  Even if you weren't to tear anything out, you'd have to put up new drywall anyway, so what's the difference?   

I think you realize you'll have to do some demo to get good soundproofing.  For the amount of noise you're making, there is no 'magic sheet' that you can throw up and, poof, all your noise is gone. 

You've got a head start, in that you've already got insulation in the cavities.  Minimum, I'd suggest hanging a new ceiling (double drywall) on isolation clips and hat channel.  Some noise is still going to be transferred into the basement walls and up through the structure, but a lot less than the direct path, through the floor/ceiling.  On the walls, you could use Green Glue and add another layer of drywall (no demo) to dampen any structureborne noise.  Don't forget sealing.     

You're not gonna get absolute silence, but you'll end up with a lot quieter room/upstairs than you have now.