Author Topic: Help! Noisy neighbors and their "band" are driving me and my wife crazy!  (Read 4106 times)

mysticone

I've been reading through some of the posts on this forum and, while there's a lot of helpful information, I'm not really sure what I can do in my situation.  Our neighbors have decided they should form a band and practice next door.  While no amount of practicing is going to help improve their musical abilities, their cacophony is driving us insane.  I've called the authorities numerous times, and that works temporarily, but they simply start back up a few hours or days later.  There's not much we can do legally, so I'm trying to figure out what we can do on our side to save our sanity.

Both residences (theirs and ours) are manufactured homes.  So we may be limited by what soundproofing measures can be taken.  What makes it worse is that our home-office is on the same side of the house as the room where they generate their noise.  The chief offenders are drums and a bass guitar.  We can't move the office to a room on the opposite end of the house, so we're somewhat stuck in that regard.  To make it even more difficult, we can't afford to spend a whole lot either, but we'll do what we can.

I've read about different window treatments that can be done (magnetic insulators, the "plug" method, etc.).  But what else can be done?

* Do I need to soundproof the whole house, that side of the house, or only the room where it's most annoying?
  * There is a window facing their house in a different room, but the only window in the home-office is on an adjacent wall.
  * What could be done with the walls without tearing them apart?
  * Do I need to do something to the floor too, and if so, can that be done without tearing it up?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them.  Thanks very much!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Help! Noisy neighbors and their "band" are driving me and my wife crazy!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:26:35 PM »
You obviously have limited options.  Try the window plugs first, then decide if you need additional soundproofing.

Rachel

I would try Magnetite before window plugs. Magnetite panels can be removed if needed and they do not block your view. They sell DIY (do it yourself) kits on the internet, or you can reach them @ 800-624-8483.