Author Topic: Refrigerator Alcove  (Read 5027 times)

Bailey

Refrigerator Alcove
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:48 AM »
Hi -

I am currently remodelling my kitchen and have a question about quieting the refrigerator. Cabinets are at the top and bottom on the left side of it, and nothing on the right side.  There are cabinets over the refrigerator.  The contractor will be adding 1/4" walls around the refrigerator to create an alcove.  There isn't room for actual studded walls.  Would 1/8" Super Soundproofing Foam Mat be okay for the walls?  Do I need to put it on the back wall and on the underside of the cabinets above too?  Do the pieces of mat need to be continuous or can it be cut?  (Does every inch need to be covered?)

Thanks much for the advice!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Refrigerator Alcove
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
You can try that solution, but I suspect a lot of the noise is structureborne.  Mount the refrigerator on some sort of vibration isolators as well. 

bjnash

Re: Refrigerator Alcove
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:43:23 AM »
Yes, all the walls of the alcove need to be covered.  1/8" mat will not provide much sound absorbsion, the thicker the better.  (1/2" to 2" is recommended).

A piece of material along the front bottom of the fridge can block sound of the compressor/motor, but don't block the airflow around the motor..

See
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_appliances.htm
for more info on appliances.
BJ Nash

anything