Author Topic: Soundproofing concrete ceiling from airborne noise?  (Read 2826 times)

Newwbie

Soundproofing concrete ceiling from airborne noise?
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:46:39 AM »
Hi there, I live in a 2 br condo with standard 8ft tall, concrete ceiling and wooden floors. The building is concrete/steel structure and is quite sturdy, and about the only noise I hear from my upstairs neighbor is their vacuum (80db+ I suppose).  I plan to use my smaller bedroom (10'x10') for my model making hobby, which unfortunately requires using machines with considerable airborne noise when cutting hard materials (90db+), so I'm trying to do some sound control for my up/downstairs neighbors' sake.  I assume covering the wooden floor with foam-backed MLV should block airborne noise to a point? The ceiling is rock solid concrete (so as under the floor), so what kind of options do I have? Would adhering/stapling MLV work? Or better if suspending sheetrock/backed with MLV? Thanks for all the experts on the forum for your advice!!
Bobby

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing concrete ceiling from airborne noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:42:23 PM »
I don't think you have too much to worry about.  In addition to airborne noise, the vacuum is putting out a lot of structureborne noise, despite the carpet and pad (I'm assuming that's what your upstairs neighbor has).  Also, the vacuum is loud because it's a lot closer to your ceiling than your power tools will be from their floor. 

I'd suggest doing a test first and ask your neighbors if the noise you're making is bothersome to call you.  Since the floorplans are probably identical, it isn't likely that anyone will be trying to sleep in their bedrooms during the day, so if you shut the door to your room, you can isolate a lot of the noise that way.  As long as you're not doing your hobby too early or too late, I doubt they will find it annoying. 

If they do, then go the soundproofing route.