Author Topic: What should I be looking to spend?  (Read 3813 times)

jackqdeezn

What should I be looking to spend?
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:44:14 AM »
I am going to buy an old row house in a city, and I want a band practice room in the basement.  I play jazz with a trio (drums, guitar, piano).  We currently play in the drummer's row house with no complaints, but we play very quiet.  When I buy my house, I would like to be able to practice with a little more dynamic range.  While I haven't found which house to buy yet, they all are pretty much the same with cinder block or concrete walls, and a concrete floor.  Most likely no windows.  Ceiling will be joists with a old hard wood floor above it.  I expect the basement to be about 45x16 feet, but I'll only need the practice room to be part of the basement.  What is involved and how much should I be looking to spend?   

I have searched for people in the similar position as me, but they are all asking how to do it without a budget.  I want to know how much it would cost to do it right.  I'm not asking exact numbers and I'm sure the sky is the limit.  I have a budget, I just need a bit of direction.

Thanks immensely for your help!
-Erik

johnbergstromslc

Re: What should I be looking to spend?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
The cost range can vary, but I usually tell people to expect to spend $1000 per room (materials only).  For this price, you can do some good soundproofing, with separate ceiling joists and double stud walls, a room-in-a-room.  Labor costs vary too much from region to region, so I couldn't be much help there.

anything