Author Topic: My New Studio  (Read 4172 times)

2db

My New Studio
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:27:20 AM »

Hello, I have done field recording but now am converting a room aprox. 20X30X12 into a recording studio.

Room is Brick exterior and drywall interior no windows just a double metal door that open up into our off street parking area. Two sides of the room are surrounded by a dirt hill and the other two sides are exposed to street noise, neighbor dog barking and sidewalk talk. Although I am in a residential neighborhood I am at the corner of two busy streets.

What would you suggest as the most cost effective way to stop the outside noise from entering the room.

Thanks very much for your answer-!!

Jim Easton

admin

Re: My New Studio
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
A "Room-within-a-room" would be most effective, but a double wall on the street side might work and be less costly.

BJ Nash

2db

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:30:10 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

If I go with the double wall, street side, what materials should I use to build it? Are we looking at 2X4 studding with 1" Styrofoam or what would get the job done?

-jim

ears4hire

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:34:33 AM »
Don't forget to treat the walls so the Studio sounds good.

See the "Control Room Layout?" topic for more on this; an excerpt below:

The first reflections are a major concern as is bass resonance; bass traps are the typical solution for bass resonance. The location of treatment for the first reflections are very critical. If the room is all sheetrock the room will not have a flat response; it will be mid-bass heavy, so tuned panels maybe what you need.

David Kennedy
Acoustic Consultant 

www.d-k-a.com
www.integrityacoustics.com
phone: 760-798-9038

anything