Author Topic: Party Wall in Old House - need advice  (Read 3842 times)

bmoon1492

Party Wall in Old House - need advice
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:40 AM »
Hi,
I'm currently remodeling my kitchen and have the room completely gutted.  The party wall is basically 110 year old 2x4 construction with no insulation but but does have some lathe partitioning the two apartments that appears to have been left after previous remodels which currently limits the thickness of insulation I can use without removing.   

I'm trying to determine the best course of action and planned to do the following...

1. Remove the remaining lath
2. Insulate the wall with cotton Batts
3. Use 1/4 MVL
4. Install 2 layers of 5/8x

Has anyone tackled a similar situation? 

johnbergstromslc

Re: Party Wall in Old House - need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:13:18 AM »
You bet I have.  If you want good soundproofing, convert the wall into a staggered stud wall, or double stud, if you're really serious about it.  Since you're going to gut the room, this is not difficult.

Skip the cotton and MLV.  Fiberglass works fine, and if you have a decoupled wall and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, you're good to go...  Just remember your sealing.

nasdaddy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
Here in Canada we have a product called Safe and Sound insulation by Roxul. It is way better than standard fibreglass insulation....works very well if you have studs....unfortunately I have to go over plaster and patchy old concrete and have no room for a new framed wall.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:27:07 PM »
Roxul is just mineral wool insulation, and we have it in America, too.  Although it works a bit better than fiberglass, it's not a 'miracle' noise reduction product.  If you have a 'regular' wall - panels directly connected to each other by the studs - It's going to have a trivial effect on the amount of isolation you can achieve:  4-6 points STC improvement, max.  If you go to the trouble to slightly modify the wall: 20+ points STC.

You wouldn't need to build an entirely new wall to get good effects.  You would just need to widen the wall plates (if you use 1X4's, you'll only use 3/4" of floor space) and add new staggered studs in between the existing studs.  With insulation, double 5/8" drywall and good sealing, you can easily get STC 50+, compared to the paltry 30-35 you have now.  The difference will be massive.

If you don't modify the wall, expect an STC of 36-39.  Considering the time, energy and money you're going to invest, that's not much of an improvement.       

nubiwan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
You bet I have.  If you want good soundproofing, convert the wall into a staggered stud wall, or double stud, if you're really serious about it.  Since you're going to gut the room, this is not difficult.

Skip the cotton and MLV.  Fiberglass works fine, and if you have a decoupled wall and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, you're good to go...  Just remember your sealing.

Can the new 'staggered' studs be inserted between old studs to reduce space on either side? 

anything