Author Topic: Impact Noise from condo above  (Read 29951 times)

johnbergstromslc

Re: Impact Noise from condo above
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »
You keep mentioning a '1 inch air cavity'.  If you're intending to leave the existing drywall in place and resiliently hang a ceiling on it, I wouldn't recommend it.  For good performance, you need to insulate the entire floor joist cavity, and to do that you have to tear off the old drywall.  Any of the options you listed won't give you good isolation.  They will help, certainly, but you'll end up feeling that you've wasted money.

The most 'bang for your buck' is:  Tear off the existing drywall, insulate with R-30/R-38 (doesn't matter if it's 'faced' or not), isolation clips, hat channel, 2 layers of 5/8" drywall.  STC for this assembly can be as high as 64.  IIC varies with type of flooring above, but it will be a lot higher than what you have now.     

samvasq

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:10 AM »
That is what I meant tear off the existing dry wall, by air cavity I thought leaving a iar channel between the two dry wall could be usefull but I guess not. So basically you recommend tearing off the existing EPS polysterene in between the concrete beams and fill it with R30-R38.  and then the

4) hung ceiling (clips and hat channel) no air cavity, 5/8 sheet rock, green glue application , 2nd 5/8 sheet rock ? total hight about 1.5 inch.

Green glue is not so efficient in this case ?

if you have a phone # I can call you I promise it'll only take 10 min..
thanks a million, great help

olliedoc

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 06:04:42 AM »
hello, all.  i hate to admit that it is comforting to find a group who shares and understands my pain.  my issue is a family with little children living above me.  they run back and forth--God help me! i am willing to tear down my ceiling and want to get people's opinions about these 2 options: what about quiet solutions or supress drywall that is supposed to provide 8x the soundproofing of regular drywall VS regular drywall lined with soundproofing mat lining.  fyi, i would like to maintain my high ceilings

1. any idea on what the difference in costs would be for 800sq ft unit?
2. which will have the best results
3. should i avoid contractors who have never worked with these products?
4. i've read that some of the sound dampening techniques convert noise from sound to heat waves.  Would that affect the climate control of my condo?

also, i am completely new to homeownership and definitely the concept of construction, what is this "hung ceiling" i've see mentioned?

joel

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »
My question to moderator/admin is how effective this resilient channel + isolation clips + green glue solution is in terms that it only reduces the relevant noises (impact noise) or eliminate it?  I have been reviewing this board for awhile now and I haven’t seen any feedback’s from the members who implemented the above solution and now they are living peacefully.

I am in the same situation where the Condo above me has wooden floors and we can hear the occupant footsteps (which includes a dog), wood squeaking etc. all day and late nights.  I am seriously thinking of going with the above solution but was curious how well does it work

When using this solution it must be applied to open/exposed joists only - if you use this assembly to existing dry wall ceiling it will actually INCREASE impact noise.  For info see this article from BKL Consultants  http://bkl.ca/sites/bkl/files/flooring_in_multi-family_dwellings.pdf