Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Does anybody know about Milgard's Quiet Line or any good soundproof window?  (Read 20601 times)

gugy

Dear Soundproofing readers,

I would like to know if anybody had experience with Milgard's Quiet Line windows. I want to replace the front windows of my house. I live in a busy street.
Also does anybody can recommend any window that is as good or better STC rating than Milgard?

I looked into soundproofwindows.com, but I did not like the fact to have to put on window on top of the existing one. It looks cheesy to me. I want to keep the nice look of my house.
That's why I am willing to tear down my double pane Pella windows and replace for something more effective. I just don't know what to look for.

I appreciate any feedback.
regards,
Gugy

Sarahs

While I haven't had any experience with Milgrad's products I have nothing but good things to say about Optixshield. I recently had them install soundproof windows to reduce road noise from a nearby expressway. Their installers were respectful and got in and out quickly and the total cost for installation was very reasonable. As a bonus my utility bills went down significantly. In response to your problem with putting one window on top of eachother, the extra pane is hardly noticeable and the benefits of increased insulation outweigh the negatives. Check out www.optixshield.com for more info.
Hope that helps,
Sarah

professorkev

Milgard is not available in NY state, rather depressing.  I have read EXCELLENT things about millgard and don't recall any negatives.  my point, if they were sold in my town I would buy them.  I am now looking at Marvin windows.  originally I wanted to do triple pane weathershield windows, but it seem the thicker 2nd pane will do better for sound attenuation.

joel

hello professorkev,
The only way to rate a window for sound control is by the STC rating of the window.  Ask to see the STC rating before buying. 
You can also make your own acrylic inside window add - see the MagnetSeal system at http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm  Obtain clear, UV stabalized (also called "museum quality") acrylic from a local plastics retailer.  Easy to do it yourself and get great sound reduction.
Joel 

johnbergstromslc

But even STC is not completely accurate.  STC only considers frequencies down to 125 Hz, when the noise people want to block is lower than that - big trucks thundering by, overgrown adolescents on Harleys, car stereos, etc..

So sometimes, even an "acoustical" window can't cut it. 

If the window manufacturers had any guts, they'd publish the TL values that matter - the 50-250 Hz range.

gugy

yes, I heard that Trucks and motorcycles have a different range so those STC windows measurements don't apply.
It seems that don't exist a window that can completely or almost block any kind of noise.

That's too bad. I am trying to sell my house and buy one in a quiet street. I believe that's the best solution, unfortunately not a cheap one.  :-[ :'(

simpy

I called Milgard and they sent me the audiogram-graph thing from their test data.  They were very responsive and helpful.  At the lower frequencies, the Milgard Quietline windows cuts out 20 db.  At the higher frequencies it goes up to 40-47

joel

Here is another window maker that gives accurate sound ratings for their windows
http://bieberusa.com/
Let us know how they stack up to Milgard, OK?

Prince234

This a nice place to learn all about Soundproofing.

joel

and here's a link to Milgard for more info on their windows:
http://www.milgard.com/products/vinyl-windows/