Author Topic: New construction home, wanting "private" spaces.  (Read 4423 times)


  • Guest
New construction home, wanting "private" spaces.
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I am fairly clueless about soundproofing but there were a few areas of my new home that I wanted to make more private.  Such as bathrooms for obvious reasons and the master bedroom which is above the living room which has in ceiling speakers, recessed lights and a surround sound set up..  I am not wanting to make these rooms sound proof but more give them a bit more privacy so for example some one can listen to a movie as a sensible volume and have it not disturb me in the bed room, or a guest can use the bathroom with out disturbing the rest of us.

I am about to start the framing of the house next late week and thought it better to look into sound barriers now rather than later.  I should also add that I have been adding and adding to the house and money is very tight right now.

thanks for any help Mark


these are some ideas that I had so far.

1. use a cork underlayment for the hardwood floors in the master bedroom.
3. using some tape under the sub floor of the master bedroom but not on the drywall of the cilign below because of all the holes (speakers, lights, fans)
2. use cotton insulation in the walls/ceilings where I want a barrier.


  • Guest
Re: New construction home, wanting "private" spaces.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:25:14 AM »
The living room ceiling is gonna be a challenge with all the holes cut into it, and the speakers presumably screwed into the floor joists.  The sound is gonna go right through, from one space to the other.  Any chance you could frame up a false ceiling for your lights and speakers?  I don't see any remedy you're thinking of working...

Since you want to soundproof cheaply, probably the easiest way is to have your builder frame staggered stud walls instead of the regular 2X4's.  The extra lumber cost is minimal.


  • Guest
Re: New construction home, wanting "private" spaces.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
ok so let me change the room a little... What if I take out the in ceiling speakers and use in wall seapkers and use air tight recessed cans, the wall I am talking about is an exterior wall  so its filled with insulation... 

I still need to attack the problem from the master bedroom floor down and I see there being two main ways to do this,

1. hardwood floors - underalyment - plywood - green glue - plywood - joists with r-13 insulation - drywall


2. hardwood floors - underalyment - MLV - plywood - joists with r-13 insulation - drywall


  • Guest
Re: New construction home, wanting "private" spaces.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:11:09 AM »
It'd be a lot cheaper and more effective to do it this way:

hardwood - underlayment - plywood - joists - full cavity insulation - isolation clips + hat channel - double drywall (with or without Green Glue, your choice)

Try to use a springy, resilient underlayment.