Author Topic: Getting rid of low frequency noise (footfall/bass/etc)  (Read 5091 times)

karmaz81

Getting rid of low frequency noise (footfall/bass/etc)
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:06:53 AM »
My husband and I just moved into a 9.5 year old two storey side by side duplex.  I was told by many people that duplexes now a days are more or less soundproof - ours isn't!

We share a common wall with a couple with two younger children.  First thing in the morning I can hear doors opening and closing, footsteps, people running up and down the stair case, etc.  Once the kids are gone it's quiet ... for about 15 minutes ... then mom gets home and the stereo goes on for a couple of hours and all I can hear in my kitchen and bedroom (kitchen is downstairs, bedroom is upstairs) is the bass of her stereo.  Then it is quiet for a few hours ... then the kids come home and the banging begins again.  It sounds like they are in our stairwell, on our upper level, etc and it's driving me CRAZY - it feels like we NEVER get a break.

Everyone says low-frequency "footfall" noise is virtually impossible to get rid of, but I know there must be some way.  I have read a bit about a new product called "Green Glue" which sounds interesting, but it is a big investment for something that "sounds" good.

What is the best way to get rid of the banging???

johnbergstromslc

Re: Getting rid of low frequency noise (footfall/bass/etc)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:29:51 PM »
Well, duplexes are only soundproof if the building inspector was required to look for soundproofing elements, which they weren't required to do until relatively recently.  Also, some duplexes don't qualify as 'multifamily' dwellings (as crazy as that sounds) and aren't required to provide any additional soundproofing between units.       

The 'footfall' and 'banging' you mention are very difficult to get rid of.  It sounds like most of your problem is structureborne and adding a second layer of drywall with Green Glue will help somewhat, but the footfall noise is being transferred through the floor joists.  Carpet and pad under your neighbors feet would be the best solution there.