Author Topic: Neighbor's Property Line Soundproofing  (Read 4113 times)

SL123

Neighbor's Property Line Soundproofing
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »
Hi,

I have neighbors that were given a city order to soundproof their new bathroom construction located right next to my bedroom.  Our homes are 90 year old single family San Francisco Edwardians with zero property line.  Our situation has set precedence in SF for anybody doing new construction that will create a new noise element in adjacent properties due to building, police, health and safety laws.  Neighbors claim to have installed:

STC-45-Insulate to R13.  GWB to be 5\8”  type X on Resilient Channel, all joints & penetrations to be sealed with acoustical caulking.  All appropriate plumbing isolators to be installed.

But there is no record of sound proofing inspection.

Problem is that I am being waken up everyday they use their bathroom.  Everything in my life is deteriorating because of persistent interference with my sleep.  This was the whole reason of demanding sound proofing in the first place.

Can you tell me how much sound proofing the above configuration would provide?  They claim at least STC 50 and should be sufficient.  What level of soundproofing would be required to return my home to it’s former state when I did not have to hear any noise from adjacent neighbors?

Thanks  :)

johnbergstromslc

Re: Neighbor's Property Line Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:54:26 AM »
It sounds unlikely they did any of those things.  You might want to take it upon yourself to soundproof your side of the wall.  That's really the only way you can be sure to get noise reduction.  And when the wall is open, you can take a few pics of the alleged soundproofing they did, and report them to the proper authorities if you so desire.

anything