Author Topic: Rehearsal rooms WITH money behind them. Please help!  (Read 3812 times)

Cannibal Dave

Rehearsal rooms WITH money behind them. Please help!
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:56:44 AM »
I've been tearing my hair out for the last four days over this, so I'll see if I can sum it up quickly....

I'm leasing some commercial property to open a coffee shop with live music every night.  There's an unfinished basement that I'd like to renovate and install three private rehearsal studios and a green room.  Here's what we got:

• 1550 sq. ft., roughly 35' x 44'
  • concrete floor and concrete/masonry walls
  • bare 16" joists on the ceiling, with a ceramic tile floor above
  • another person looking at the property, and a pressing need to put this whole thing into a business plan and impress my investors before the other guy signs the papers
  • a hopeful budget of $5000 to build and soundproof the walls.  Attenuating the acoustics in each room would be nice, but that can come later.

Step 1 -- Cover the ceiling:

It's all got to be brought up to fire code as well, which involves a double-layer of type X drywall.  So from the floor above downward, it's going to go:

• ceramic tiles
  • 12" or so air gap
  • 3" Roxul Safe 'n' Sound mineral wool (density = 2.5 pcf, 45 kg/m3; absorption coefficient = 0.52 at 125 Hz; NTC = 1.05)
  • resilient channels spaced 24" apart
  • double-layer 5/8" type X gypsum board
  • another 3" of Roxul wrapped in burlap as a mid-high absorber and additional bass trapping

That's as low as I can go -- the ceiling will be around 6'8" once the drywall is up, and there are three support joists that drop it another 12 inches in places.

Now, THIS plan costs me $2.27/ft2.  We can lose the extra layer of Roxul over the green room (~375 ft2) and save $0.55/ft2.  Grand total: $3200.

Step 2 -- Build the dividing walls:

The exact design isn't set in stone yet, but I'd like to use 3-5/8" steel studs 24" on center, with resilient channels 24" apart facing into the studios (but not the green room, cost considerations).  The walls will be packed with 3" Roxul.  Single-layer 5/8" type X drywall on each side.  Studio doors will be 4' panels of wall on hinges -- it's half the cost and at least twice the sound isolation as an actual door.

There's 82 linear feet of walls to be built.  $400 for framing and resilient channels.  I've budgeted the walls to be 7' high to allow for wasteage, so 574 ft2 at $1.55/ft2 to drywall and insulate gives a grand total of $1300 for the walls.

My GRAND grand total is sitting at $4500.  Then you add in doorknobs, locks, lighting, electrical and internet connections, and fire collars for overhead plumbing.

Now I have several other acousticky-type people telling me this wall configuration really won't do jack to knock that pesky bass out from between each room.  The also tell me that the ceiling configuration wont do jack to keep it out of the coffee shop upstairs.  $4500 seems to be a lot of money to spend on nothing.  I'm no engineer by any means, but there's got to be a way to pull this off.

Roxul costs me $0.552/ft2.  Another layer across the entire ceiling would add $828.  That would make 9 inches.  Should I just put bricks up there?  Drywall it and pour in concrete?  HELP!!

Thanks.

-- Dave

johnbergstromslc

Re: Rehearsal rooms WITH money behind them. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
I think I agree with 'them', at least in respect with the walls.  You should build double stud walls, full of insulation, with 2 or more layers 5/8" drywall per side.  Minimize and seal any penetrations.  Also seal up the gap on the stud plates and edges before drywall. 

Can't really say on the floor/ceiling performance.  Depends on how thick the concrete slab is, and how good your decoupling is.

Seems like you're going to an awful lot of trouble for just a coffee shop.  Since the music is going to inevitably sound different in the rehearsal room vs. on stage, couldn't you have your performers practice with headphones/unamplified?  That would pretty much solve any noise transfer issues you might have. 

This is a mistake a lot of people make.  They assume they need (or want) professional recording studio-level soundproofing.  You really should shoot for 'just good enough'.     

anything