Author Topic: Common Party Wall with No Insulation  (Read 10506 times)

Porky

Common Party Wall with No Insulation
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:43:41 AM »
Hi,

I live in a Townhome...and it seems that one wall in the kitchen actually has no insulation (Party wall) (I opened up an electrical outlet and looked with a flashlight) . Also the Drywall is alot thicker than the standard 5/8"....maybe 7/8" ? . It backs on to a unit that always plays their stereo. The stereo is in their basement...my kitchen is on the ground floor. It seems that the "Bass" is channeling its way up into my kitchen.

(1) If I use MLV or Green Glue.....should I remove my cupboards....or can I use MLV "inside" my cupboards ?

(2) Would it be worth while to open up my wall and stuff "Corning Owens Pink Acoustical Insulation"...or is the MLV or Green Glue enough ?

Note...I can't hear "normal talking"...or "Treble".....just the Bass

Thanks in Advance.

I love this Forum !

Porky

Re: Common Party Wall with No Insulation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
****Update****

I determined that my wall is constructed as follows:

Drywall-Hollow-Drywall-Insulation-Drywall (where my side is hollow, and my neighbour's side is insulated)

Anyhow...Well I just got a case of Green Glue, and will get 5/8" drywall sheets.....and I will start my Project soon.

I will Post my Results in this Forum.

Cheers !

Porky

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:29:39 PM »
***Update***

Well....I put up 14 sheets of 5/8" drywall + 2 tubes of Green Glue/sheet about 3 days ago.
Total time was 6 hrs, not including the prep work ( marking studs, removing baseboards etc)

I took a chance and did 4 walls instead of the inital 1.

I know it takes anywhere from 7-10 days before any "sound reduction" can be heard...and total curing will take 30 days.

Its hard to tell how good it is after 3 days....cause my neighbour hasn't blasted his stereo yet.

When I put my ear to the wall and tap....there is a very significant reduction in sound compared to an un-treated wall.
But i think thats the extra drywall effect and not the GG cause it is the same as the day I applied it.

As for odour.....yes, it smells abit...but Not as bad as i thought it would. With the windows left open abit....you can't even smell it. Application was easy...and non-messy.
I would assume that the odour will go away....when it finally cures.

I'll update in 2-3 weeks....and give a final report.

I hope that this was not a waste of my time/money......i guess i'll have to wait and see or should I say "hear"

Cheers,

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:59 PM »
Provided you sealed the wall good, it definitely will be quieter and will kill a lot more bass than a single 1/2" sheet, so, no you haven't wasted your money.  Some noise will still get into your space through the contiguous floor and ceiling framing, but you've addressed the primary and largest area sound path - the wall. 

Porky

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:12 AM »
***Final Update***

Well...its been 1 month since the GG/Drywall went up...and I think it was worth all the time & money.

When I put my ear to the wall and tap...there is a definite damping effect. It sorta feels like tapping a poured concrete wall. It is actually quite amazing. Basically "Green Glue" seems to be as good as they claim.

It also seems to do a very good job on "impact noise from the neighbours". What used to be Loud vibrations (from doors closing, running up the stairs etc) are now heard as "distant thuds". Yes I did'nt do all my walls.....but there is a very noticable reduction anyhow)

Yes I did seal-up the electrical boxes with caulking...and I also covered the plates with those in-expensive foam outlet covers that stop drafts. Also the bottom of the drywall was sealed with caulking before I put back the trim & molding.

Now since I did this....my neigbour on one side has not played his stereo super loud.....so I have actually never heard the true abilities....but i feel my "tapping" test is a good indication.

For those of you that are "sittin' on the fence" (like me for 1/2yr)....just go out and get some GG (you can get it from this site). You will truly be happy.

Thanks to "johnbergstromslc" for all his posts and the rest of the Mods....I learned alot !

Cheers !

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:57:22 PM »
Good job.

I am also a fan of Green Glue.  Provided a person has all the other soundproofing bases covered (decoupling, insulation, sealing and mass), Green Glue puts the project over the top.  And it's fun to work with - much more satisfying than buying a pre-made sheet (Quietrock, Supress). 

QuietPlease!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
Porky, did you take down your cabinets?

Porky

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
Hi QuietPlease!,

Actually no....I didn't remove the cabinets in the kitchen. I did not do the GG/Drywall in the kitchen as 1st planned. After some long thinking....I decided to do the Dining Room Wall (across from the kitchen on the other side) and the adjoining Living Room Wall (which is on the same side, joining the kitchen. Plus my upstairs Master Bedroom on both sides.

I knew I wasn't going to get the "full effect" since I left out doing the kitchen....but I am very happy with the performance. Yes, there can be "leakage" noise thru the kitchen wall (but the drywall thickness is approx. 1" in the kitchen , only room in my place with the drywall that thick....i have no reason why)

By the way, my kitchen is very small...even so I wanted to "hear" the GG in action on the other walls first....then decide if it is worth while to remove the cabinets and do the kitchen wall.

Porky,

ps. 1 month before my project started, I talked to my neigbour about the stereo. He did'nt realize how much was comin' thru the walls. He came in and heard it and was very apologetic. That was 2 months ago...and it has not bothered me since.

pss. I never told him about the GG....I just told him there would be some reno noise on the day we installed the drywall. (don't want him to think that he can totally Blast his stereo now since I won't be able to hear it cause I have "Sound-proofing"

QuietPlease!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Thanks for your response Porky. My kitchen wall is approximately 20' long by 12' high with lots of cabinets. I've had it tested and it is only 44-45 STC, so I can hear my neigbor blowing his nose when I am eating breakfast (yech!). This is new construction on a higher end townhome so there is really no excuse, but the builder has yet to make it right. He was over yesterday asking if I would be satisfied if he improved the STC to 48. HA! Somehow I doubt I would notice much difference, as my neighbors are very outgoing and social people who love to entertain family and friends (which is a nice way of saying LOUD and DRUNK at least 2-3 nights a week).

Fortunately my neighbor has a builit-in wall of cabinets in our master bedroom party wall so I can't hear their bedroom noises. Other neighbors in the development are not so lucky.

It sounds like an extra layer of drywall with Green Glue might be an economical fix, if I can get some help with the cabinets.

Does Green Glue come with any guarantees about subsequent STC values? According to my amateur research I would need an STC of 55-60 to screen out most neighbor noise, will Green Glue get me there?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 09:33:12 PM »
Quietplease:

If you install Green Glue correctly, it will work.  For maximum effect, add 5/8" drywall as the second layer. 

Before you do any of that, check your wall for sealing.  A builder can put up the best soundwall in the world, but if he has sloppily-cut electrical boxes or warped stud plates with big gaps, it's all for nothing.  Those guys usually don't go to the trouble of any sealing, either. 

If you can, pull back the carpet a bit and seal the bottom plate of the wall, under any moulding.  Sometimes this is difficult with the nailing strip in the way - a lot of nicked fingers - but see what you can do.  Then remove the switch & outlet cover plates and seal the gaps around all the electrical boxes.  If you're comfortable working with electrical, turn the appropriate breakers off, unscrew the switches and outlets from the boxes, move them out of the way and try to seal the holes in back where the wires enter - not easy, either, but it makes a huge difference.  You may have to improvise a longer nozzle for your caulk.  Then, before reinstalling the plates, cover the box with outlet/switch foam sealers, available in the weatherstripping aisle in most stores that sell weatherstripping - Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sears, etc... 

See if this inexpensive fix makes any difference.  Use a high-quality, flexible silicone caulking - the $3+ per tube, not the cheapo stuff.

If not, then Green Glue it is.   

Check out their site for loads of info: 

thegreengluecompany.com   

They might have a 'before and after' comparison that will apply to your wall.  You won't get STC 60, but 55 is definitely do-able.

Ask your builder if he will remove and reinstall the cabinets (for free) as his part in 'making it right'.  The extra layer of drywall will thicken your walls, so he'll probably have to shift all the cabinets to compensate.       

QuietPlease!

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »
Thanks for your response John. The builder sent someone to seal off the electrical boxes but it hasn't done much good (did I mention my neighbors are LOUDLOUDLOUD). They had out of town guests this weekend and the noise has been nonstop. I had the worst migraine of my life yesterday and definitely did not need any extra noise in my life.

I don't think minor fixes are going to protect me from their invasive noisiness, I need a serious wall improvement.

anything