Author Topic: Hopeless to stop barking dog?  (Read 20026 times)

Spike

Hopeless to stop barking dog?
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:57:29 AM »
We need some help.  Last July, we moved across country last year to buy a house that we like.
The next door neighbor is an "animal rescuer" and has a neglected, barking rescue dog.  It wakes us up every night/early morning.
 I am ill with a brain tumor, so that is quite hard on me physically.
(Post brain surgery patient.)

Here are the steps we took:
July, Aug, Sept, Oct, spoke to owner repeatedly.  No luck.
November. Sent owner a letter asking her to quiet her dog.  No luck.
Oct/November/December. Knocked on her door, she won't answer.
Jan/Feb. Started wearing ear plugs.  Got ear infections three times and had to have ear surgery and was on antibiotics for two months.
Can no longer wear ear plugs.

Bought foam panels for the windows. Doesn't muffle it. Bought insulated curtains, they don't help. Bought three fans and electronic sound machine. Slept with TV on. Not enough, as the dog sits directly under my window and it's too close. Bought 20 bushes and planted them along my side of the fence.  Doesn't help.   Bought wood blinds for the windows. No help either.
I cannot change the fence due to HOA.

Our house is small, and there are no "extra" bedrooms to switch to. We have two bedrooms and it can be heard in both.   I tried to sleep in the closet and laundry room on the floor, but can still hear it.

Called animal control numerous times. Neighbor is a Dog Rescuer and has "connections", so complaints are deleted and they have no record of them. Spoke to Supervisor of Animal Control three times.  Filed complaint with her. No response.  I believe it is the Supervisor that is who she knows.
We CANNOT afford to move, we put our life savings into this house. Values have gone down lately, so we want to stay here instead of selling at a loss we cannot afford.  We like the house except for one very bad neighbor. We will not allow her stupid dog to force us to move to an apartment. If we sell, we would lose too much to be able to buy another house. So, that's not an option.
Now what, please?

In order to take her to court, I must have documentation from animal control showing I followed the correct procedure. I do not have any documention from them because each record has been deleted.  I have two case numbers from my phone complaints, but they do not reflect anything on their computer, as they've been deleted.

When I called an Attorney here in town, they wanted my documention from Animal Control before I saw them in order to send them a letter.
I have my own log and daily documention, but what can I do when we have a corrupt animal control?  The Police Dept. wants no involvement.

What next please?  The owner says the dog is deaf, so I don't think one of those sonic machines would have any effect.  I am at a loss.
The other neighbors don't hear it, because they are too far away.  Her back door is directly facing my bedroom window.  About 5 or 6 feet away on her side of the fence. 

Oh, and the previous owners moved because of this dog.  She wound up filing complaints against them as retaliation.  Animal Control took her complaints and they are in the computer. When I called them, they said the complaints were against "us", even though they were made three years before we moved to this state.  sigh...

We believe this person is unstable.  She sleeps outside in her backyard, and once snuck over our fence at 3:00 a.m.   (We didn't see her, it was when we first moved her and she told us she heard a noise in our yard and that she checked it out.  We told her never to do that again.)

She once hid in her yard at 3:00 am to chase some teenage boys who were bothering her.  I think she is looney tunes, sneaking around during the night.

We are not sure what to do, or whether we should just forget about dealing with an unstable person.  Hopefully, she'll move away someday.  She said she hates all the neighbors here. (I wonder why?)

I've researched this board and tried the suggestions I've found and am now at a loss...  Oh, and I can't harm the dog because it's not worth jail time. Especially, when I am so ill and need continual medical treatment to survive.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Hopeless to stop barking dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:37 PM »
Makes you want to murder someone, doesn't it???

I honesty don't think soundproofing will do you much good, since the noise maker lives right outside your window.  You'd have to spend thousands of dollars and turn your room into a dark, windowless fortress, not to mention give up a lot of floor space and ceiling height.

Try the legal route first.  Get a video camera and a sound level meter and document the disturbance of the peace yourself.  Ask your lawyer if this is enough evidence to sue her.  If you file a complaint again, go into the animal control office and ask for documentation.  Don't rely on their computer or on some corrupt 'supervisor'.  File a complaint with the city/county/state attorney if you have to.  You also might want to try talking to the zoning department.  I'm sure she needs permits for that kind of activity, and I'm guessing she doesn't have them.  See if you can bust her on that.   

Also, talk to the HOA and tell them the situation.  Maybe under the circumstances, they'll let you put up a cinder block/concrete wall.  It won't block all the sound, but it will help some. 

Spike

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 03:40:45 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions, JB.
Animal Control finally sent a letter out.  Her dog is quiet. At least for now.

But, now she gets up early in the morning and goes under my window and turns on power tools and drills, just to make noise and hits the fence with a hammer. She also picks up rocks and smashes them in the A.M.  She does anything she can think of to make noise to wake me up.

Now, she also leaves her window open with the stereo on all day.  I can't even use my room at all except for late at night.  She has put speakers on the windowsill. Dismembered dolls are showing up in my backyard...my favorite plant in the front yard has been crushed, etc...  This lady is nuts.

So, the complaint made things 1000 times worse.  I went down and talked to the Police Dept.  They said there actually is nothing I can do.  They said they would not even enforce a restraining order, as it would be civil. Oh well.

They said I could call the PD on the stereo noise, but it would probably make things much worse for me.

So, now I just get up early and go for a walk to get away from the noise, and have basically abandoned my bedroom and have moved my bed to the second bedroom and am sharing that room.   I give up.   But, I will NOT move and lose all my savings.

In time, I'm sure she will be bored.  She does not work, so that makes it hard - as she is home all the time.  Hopefully, if I just ignore her. She will get bored.
She is definitely a loser, that's for sure.

So, thanks for your advice - but when you are dealing with an unstable idiot, I guess the only thing you can do is nothing.  Hopefully, she'll get tired of not getting any responses from me.  Apparantly, complaints totally escalate her mental unstability.  Best to back off, I guess.

Hickory_Stick

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 05:42:33 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions, JB.
Animal Control finally sent a letter out.  Her dog is quiet. At least for now.

But, now she gets up early in the morning and goes under my window and turns on power tools and drills, just to make noise and hits the fence with a hammer. She also picks up rocks and smashes them in the A.M.  She does anything she can think of to make noise to wake me up.

Now, she also leaves her window open with the stereo on all day.  I can't even use my room at all except for late at night.  She has put speakers on the windowsill. Dismembered dolls are showing up in my backyard...my favorite plant in the front yard has been crushed, etc...  This lady is nuts.

So, the complaint made things 1000 times worse.  I went down and talked to the Police Dept.  They said there actually is nothing I can do.  They said they would not even enforce a restraining order, as it would be civil. Oh well.

They said I could call the PD on the stereo noise, but it would probably make things much worse for me.

So, now I just get up early and go for a walk to get away from the noise, and have basically abandoned my bedroom and have moved my bed to the second bedroom and am sharing that room.   I give up.   But, I will NOT move and lose all my savings.

In time, I'm sure she will be bored.  She does not work, so that makes it hard - as she is home all the time.  Hopefully, if I just ignore her. She will get bored.
She is definitely a loser, that's for sure.

So, thanks for your advice - but when you are dealing with an unstable idiot, I guess the only thing you can do is nothing.  Hopefully, she'll get tired of not getting any responses from me.  Apparantly, complaints totally escalate her mental unstability.  Best to back off, I guess.

When dealing with a nut, you must do nutty things. Not just do nothing.

I recommend "feedback".  You do it by using a microphone to pick up the noise and then amplify it with speakers to throw it back to the offender many times louder.  You mention she stays home all day- well, maybe she will get tired of listening to her own noise!

Hick

Sarahs

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »
While you may feel like listening to Hickory_Stick's suggestion I don't think it will result in lessening the amount of noise you're exposed to or easing the nut's attitude towards you (it might make you feel good though, at least until she comes back with something louder). I'd recommend looking into soundproofing your windows. The results in my situation were dramatic. I purchased a system from Optixshield to reduce road noise from a nearby expressway and I was stunned at the difference. Their installers were quick, courteous, and the setup was very reasonably priced. As an added benefit my utility bill was significantly reduced. Give them a call and see what they have to say about your particular case, I'm sure they can work it out somehow. Their web address is www.optixshield.com
Hope this helps,
Sarah

kusojiji

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:27:10 AM »
Maybe I'm naive, but I cannot believe that the police department will not respond to a civil disturbance.  I'd get the name of the desk jockey at the police dept that you talked to find out if he/she had the authority to make such a statement.  It is an irresponsible response of law enforcement.  I would not spend that much money on something that the law can resolve.  If there is still no help, then I'd report the police to the mayor or the governor.  Or you can take it public.  No offense or disrespect to your condition, but you might get some help from a local TV station if they air your problem.  Hang out all of their dirty laundry.

kusojiji

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 07:32:02 AM »
There was just an article in the news about parents being threatened with jail time and fines for their kids making a lot of noise.  I think that if you can get around the corrupt or lazy cops, you might get the results you want.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:23:58 PM »
Dear Hopeless,
You might look into soundproofing windows. Most of the noise comes thru windows, not walls.

We had a barking dog right under our window. We left our glass window in place and nailed a piece of plexiglass (cut to fit a Home-Depot-type store) over the inside of the opening for the window. This left a big airspace between the glass and the plexiglass, good for sound reduction. We could no longer open our window, but it very much reduced the noise.

In our new house, we have a barking dog too, though not so close as our last house. We're again looking at noise reduction. I googled on: "noise reduction" window. I found a number of websites that sell do-it-yourself or pre-made sound reduction windows. This website gives a good summary of what's available right now:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=574830

Also www.supersoundproofing.org has a relatively inexpensive approach.
www.soundproofwindows.com has an expensive but easier and probably more effective approach.

I wish you the best and hope this helps.
Alex

joel

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »
For the windows a more economical (than soundproof windows.com) is the MagnetSeal framing system using 3/8" acrylic.  You can see how it works at  http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm 
And for the walls use another layer of dry wall with Green Glue - see info at  http://www.soundproofing.org/ggpages.htm

anything