Author Topic: Too much Road noise in a new town home  (Read 2954 times)

ravi

Too much Road noise in a new town home
« on: April 08, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
Hi,
I recently bought a new town house, and my unit is closer to a small road(end unit). Currently traffic on this road is less but it is going to increase soon.
What I have noticed is I hear disturbing road noise, it disturbs my sleep in the night. I also hear noise from people talking on the road. I started to think that, the builder didn't construct a sound proof wall. My questions to you guys are:
1. Is there any city guidelines for the builder regarding sound proof walls? like minimum STC (sound transmission class) number?

2. If yes, can I ask city or some one else for soundproof inspection?
3. I complained to the builder since I have 10year building warranty, they refused to do anything.
4. I am not supposed to make anychanges to the building wall, since it is a townhouse and common to everybody.
5. what are my options(e.g: legal)??? other than selling my house :-)....

Thanks in advance.
-Ravi

johnbergstromslc

Re: Too much Road noise in a new town home
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:31:47 AM »
Answers:

1.  Only between units.  A multifamily dwelling (apt, condo, townhouse) must be designed with a minimum of STC 50 between units, although the field STC is certainly lower than that.  There is no guideline for exterior wall STC. 

2.  Nope.  The city doesn't do those kind of inspections.  You'd have to hire an acoustic consultant. 

3.  The builder is done.  He's not gonna do anything he's not required to do (not for free, anyway).

4.  Most of the noise is coming from the windows and doors, not the wall, although there may be unsealed gaps/holes in the walls.  The noise coming from the 'common wall' is negligible.

5.  I say hire a consultant.  He can come out, set up his meters, measure the sound and tell you exactly what you need to do. 

Sarahs

Re: Too much Road noise in a new town home
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »
I just had a similar problem and soundproofing my windows was the best solution for me. If you're in the Chicagoland area you can contact Optixshield for a quote. Their installers were courteous and got the job done quickly. I was also surprised at how inexpensive the system was. In addition to that I noticed a significant drop in my utility bills. Visit their website at www.optixshield.com and give them a call.