Author Topic: condo noise problems  (Read 3534 times)

grosso

condo noise problems
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:20:55 AM »
HELLO I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN A CONDO FOR THREE YEARS. I HAVE A UNIT THAT IS ABOVE AND TO THE SIDE OF MY DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBOR. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SOUNDPROOF THE COMMON WALLS WHICH I SHARE WITH THIS PARTICULAR LOUD OBNOXIOUS INCONSIDERATE NEIGHBOR. THIS NEIGHBOR MOVED IN APPX 6 MONTHS AGO AND TOOK UP ALL HIS CARPETING AND HAS ALL HARD WOOD FLOORS. I CAN BASICALLY HEAR HIM TALKING, KIDS RUNNING , CABINETS SLAMMING, TOILET LID SLAMMING, MUSIC BLASTING, ASTHMA COUGHING. CAT MEOWING, ETC. I COULD GO ON AND ON. MY ONLY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE BEST MATERIAL TO PUT BEHIND MY DINING ROOM AND LIVING ROOM WALL WHICH ARE COMMON WITH HIS UNIT WALL. THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT IS BEHIND THE WALL NOW IS R-11 INSULATION. PLEASE HELPPPPPP

johnbergstromslc

Re: condo noise problems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »
You need to build a 'party wall' - a staggered stud or double wall with good sealing and 2 layers of drywall on it.  That's how they soundproof new construction.  Since your condo is presumably an investment and you're gonna live there a while, go for a permanent solution. 

You can try MLV or some kind of sheet material (at higher cost, but  much less disruption and dust) but I think you'll be disappointed with the results.

anything