Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: MagnetSeal 3 questions for BJ, John and Anyone with experience  (Read 11056 times)

Speckulator

I have found some 1/4" Laminated glass for $10 per sf.  That is roughly twice the price of the 1/4" acrylic but still a number I can handle.  It is 1/8" glass .30" PVB and 1/8" glass.  It weighs 3.22 lbs per sf.  I am mostly doing windows that are about 30 x 54 and few smaller.  (The 3/8" Lam glass with .90 PVB @$42 sf is beyond my budget and weighs 5 lbs per sf)

So if you guys don't mind I have a few more questions before I make a descision. 

1 Will the magnetic materials sold on this site hold the approximately 35 lbs that a window 30 x 54" made of laminated glass 1/4" thick will weigh OK?   It will be mounted inside the window frame.

2 As this glass will be large and rather heavy for the ladies in the house, is there any reasonably simple method to make the window in 2 pieces divided at the two sashes   I would think I can come up with something for that if I have to but would rather just order if off the shelf if possible. 

3 Is it OK to put the soundproofing window about an inch to an inch and a half from the primary window so it will be behinds the blinds and you won't even know it is there or is the air space so importand that I should I put the souldproofing window all the way out to the end of the space and leave the blinds hanging in between the windows?   

Hopefully this will give me the info I need come up with a plan.

Thanks Again

johnbergstromslc

Re: MagnetSeal 3 questions for BJ, John and Anyone with experience
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:51:53 AM »

Is this plug going to be removed frequently?  If so, don't use laminated glass.  Lam glass is fairly safe and resistant to breakage, but it's probably not safe to be put up and taken down everyday, especially if weight is an issue.  Even lightweight 1/4" acrylic can kill a lot of noise, provided you have a good seal and airspace.  Advantages of plastic are that you can attach some kind of handle much easier than glass and the adhesives on the magnetic tape will stick better. 

Don't go with a 2-piece anything.  The goal is to seal up the window opening and a hinge/gap in the middle compromises that.

A larger airspace is better, but I'm sure you want to be able to shut the blinds and have some privacy and light blocking.  A 1-1.5" airspace is fine.

Speckulator

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:40:23 AM »

Thanks John, It will rarely be removed.   As I think about it, only my wife would want to open it every now and then as she likes to air things out a couple of times a year.  I was thinking I could go with a piece of flat bar across the middle but if I can just buy something pre painted it would be a lot easier.  So I take it you are thinking either go one piece lam glass or if I want two pieces do the acrylic. 

Do you know if the magnets will be OK with the weight of the lam glass in one piece, or is that a question better put to BJ?  I am guessing it will be OK if they will hold 3/8 or 1/2" acrylic.  If I remember right 1/2" acrylic is about the same weight as 1/4 lam glass. 

Thanks again

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »

If you mean 2 pieces of acrylic in series, no, don't do that.  That is a 'triple leaf' and you'll get worse performance overall, and really bad performance at the resonant frequencies.  Focus your energy on getting a good seal.  And if you can put some absorptive insulation in between the 2 panes, that will also help.  You probably don't want to be handling fiberglass when you remove the plug, so maybe go with cotton.  Just put a couple inches worth around the perimeter of the window, dress it up a bit. 

Yes, you're right, 1/2" acrylic has the same density as 1/4" of glass, about 3 lb./sq.ft., give or take.

Speckulator

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »

If you mean 2 pieces of acrylic in series, no, don't do that.  That is a 'triple leaf' and you'll get worse performance overall, and really bad performance at the resonant frequencies. 

No, I meant two pieces divided between the sashes, one above the other.  Maybe a two light design would be a better desrciption.  I am just thinking about making it a little easier to handle to remove to open the window even though it is not something we will not do frequently.  I noticed it was an option with the magnetite and was thinking about doing it with the 1/4 lam glass and the magnetseal stuff sold by the sponsor site. 

Thanks

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 01:01:56 AM »

No, I meant two pieces divided between the sashes, one above the other.  Maybe a two light design would be a better desrciption.  I am just thinking about making it a little easier to handle to remove to open the window even though it is not something we will not do frequently.  I noticed it was an option with the magnetite and was thinking about doing it with the 1/4 lam glass and the magnetseal stuff sold by the sponsor site. 

Thanks

Well, I suppose it's possible in theory, but I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.  You'll have a hard time getting a good seal between pieces of glass.  A workable two-piece system is a lot easier with thinner, more flexible acrylic. 

joel

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »

The weight of the acrylic is supported by the window frame it sits on.  The magnetic strips (either inside the Magnetite framing or the self-adhesive back magnetic tape used in the Magnetseal system) simply hold it securely against the "L" channel (like the magnet strips in a refrigerator door is hld closed).  If you want to mount the acrylic flush with the wall (which will put your blinds inside the assembly) then you will want to flip the "L" channel over so that one leg is outside the frame flush with the wall surface.  And then you will need to support the weight of the acrylic panel with a molding or screws.