Author Topic: Soundproofing an existing wall in a townhome with limited space  (Read 6121 times)

kaley1kt

I have a common wall in my bedroom that I can hear EVERYTHING my neighbor does through.  I have already tried blown in cellulose, but it did nothing.  The wall is vaulted (9-14 feet), and about 9 feet up the roof beams run through the wall itself, so they were unable to add cellulose to part of the wall.

The current wall has wood studs, blown in cellulose, R13 insulation, and about 8-9 inches between my drywall and my neighbors.  I am looking for a soundproofing solution that will hopefully not have me rip out my current wall.

I only have about 2-3 inches to work with from where my current wall is to my heating duct, so I need to find something, if it exists, that will work, and that will not take up more space than that.

Porky

Re: Soundproofing an existing wall in a townhome with limited space
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:13 PM »
Hi,

I am in sorta the same position as you. I recently bought a Case of Green Glue. Up in Canada I got it for $16.80/tube. What I am going to do is get 5/8" drywall, and use 2 tubes per sheet. Of course, also use acoustical caulk around the electrical outlets and the base of the wall (where the moulding will go).

The Green Glue Sales guy told me that 2 tubes is more than enough. The use of 3 would not make much of a difference.

My walls are not as bad as yours. (Drywall-Hollow-Drywall-Insulation-Drywall), and the insulation is on my neighbours side and my side is hollow. I think this is what they call a "Double Stud Wall" ? Normal talking/TV etc cannot be heard. Just at times when the Stereo is blasting and impact noise.

From all my research that I did....I decided on Green Glue.

I will start my Project soon.

I'll Post my results in this Forum.

Cheers !

SoundproofingwithDave

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:19:52 AM »
I 2nd your suggestion since you have limited space, you should use green glue.

joel

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:36:14 PM »
There are two solutions that have worked well.  One is to use two tubes of Green Glue per 4x8 sheet of drywall.  Apply Green Glue (squiggle it on in random pattern) to new dry wall and screw the dry wall panel to existing wall surface.  For info on Green Glue see http://soundproofing.org/ggpages.htm  There is also a link to installation guidelines on that page.
Another solution used is to apply two layers of 1/8" MLV to existing wall and add a layer of 5/8" dry wall.  This will more than double the sound blocking of existing wall and only takes up 7/8" of space 
joel@soundproofing.org