Author Topic: Guest room?  (Read 2969 times)

katrina5

Guest room?
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »
We have moved into a small historical "hacienda".  We love it but have noticed when someone is in our guest room which shares one wall with the master, we can hear every conversation and noise.  The wall is drywall.  The room is small so I don't want to lose anymore space in there, but the master has room for something to be added on that side.  My brother says it's too small a job for most contractors.  Is this true?  Thanks

johnbergstromslc

Re: Guest room?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 02:00:18 AM »
Your brother is probably right.  You could find a 'handyman for hire' or something like that, but he'd likely botch a soundproofing job. 

First of all, I wouldn't "add" anything to the wall.  You need to tear off the lath & plaster, and convert the wall into something that will deaden some noise.  After getting some insulation in the cavities, you have several options - resilient channel, a staggered studs or a double wall.  Just depends on how much noise you want to block and how much space you can give up.  Whichever one you choose, make sure you have 2 layers of drywall, the thicker the better, on the master bedroom side.  Also, be sure to seal up the wall well with acoustical caulking.

anything