Author Topic: Opinion needed on party wall  (Read 2579 times)

moose43

Opinion needed on party wall
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a condo in a high-rise building and would like an opinion on the construction of the party wall between units.

Here's the information from the builder on the party wall construction:

The demising walls are constructed with a 6” steel trac on the concrete floor and underside of the concrete slab above with a 3” steel staggered studs, insulation and 2 layers of 5/8” drywall on both sides of the wall.

Here's the description of the party wall in a template purchase agreement the building is using:
"Sound absorbing steel stud system with 3-1/2" batt insulation, 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on each side and acoustic caulking at all penetrations"

The condo sounds quiet to my ears the 2 times I've visited.  Would like to hear opinions is the above is a "good" soundproofing system or if you think there may be issues. 

Thanks for your help

johnbergstromslc

Re: Opinion needed on party wall
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:47 PM »
The wall sounds pretty good to me.  Probably an STC of 60, give or take.  Having concrete slabs for floors is a plus, too.  Sounds like the main issue will be impact noise transmitted through the slabs.  If carpet is to be installed in each unit, there won't be any problems, but tile and hardwood will be noisy.

anything