Author Topic: Just the bass...  (Read 5930 times)

Nisah

Just the bass...
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:05:53 AM »
We just moved into a loft style condo built in the past 5-6 years.  The sound issue we are having is related mostly bass (not even loud thump thump thumping) seemingly transmitted via the walls.  It almost sounds like all of the lower tones are amplified and travel quite well.  One of the walls in question has no neighbor directly on the other side and I suspect the sound is travel down from above (via this 'drywall highway'). The floors and ceilings are fine.  It looks like the construction is just drywall - a gap - and another layer of drywall.  When you knock on it if sounds quite hollow and echo-ey.

We are renters (the landlords are the owners of this particular unit, the building is all condo not apt. complex).

We cannot pull down the drywall and really fix it, but would MLV of some thickness help in this scenario?  If so, how expensive is it? [one of our walls is HUGE]  Also, how bad is it for removal?  If not, any other suggestions?

...of course the unfortunate thing is that we just had the place painted prior to move in and we love our funky wall colors....

Thank you,
Nisah

johnbergstromslc

Re: Just the bass...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:07:17 PM »
MLV won't work for deep bass.  The walls will still be hollow (no insulation) and directly coupled to the rest of the structure. 

Save your money for your own house later on...

Nisah

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »
So even if we are talking volumes that are at a muffled, just on the border of being annoying, type of level?
We've just moved in, would putting up pictures, wall hangings make it worse or simply no different.  We want to put our things up, so its not that I'm thinking it will help, but rather won't worsen the situation.

Thanks for the advice,

-Nisah

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:28 AM »
Well, MLV is pretty expensive for trial-and-error.  It runs about $1.50/sq.ft., 48 bucks for the size of a standard drywall sheet. 

Nisah

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
OK...sorry to keep this going...but apparently the landlords are interested in what can be don and the Condo Association is listening.
First I would like to say thank you for the website and the information that you give out via this forum, its highly valuable.

In a loft condo building with the issue I described in the first posting, regardless of expense, is there anything that can help with the bass frequencies on a per condo basis (as in not rebuild the whole structure).  For instance, someone has told my landlord that they can open a small hole and fill the space between the walls with some sort of insulation, but from what I have read on this site, that could make things worse.

So options like...
...pull down the drywall and install some MLV sandwiched between QuietRock type drywall...
...place a bunch of sand bags between the walls...  ;-)
...etc...

Once again, thanks so much for opening my eyes and providing quality information,
Nisah

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:42:32 AM »
Insulation will be beneficial, but the only thing that's gonna really block bass is mass, the more the better.  If you have the kind of money to do Quietrock, that may be your best bet, but if not, there's always Green Glue.  You can apply another layer of drywall with Green Glue for a lot less money than a similar application of Quietrock. 

Skip the sandbags (or loose sand) - they'll probably just blow the drywall off your studs.

Nisah

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:37:44 PM »
Unbelievably, my landlords wants to address the noise issue.  They have had a contractor come in and estimate what it can be done about the wall adjoining the neighbors unit and this was the proposed solution:
          --Blown in cellulose fiber (less messy and about 2 dcb better);
          --Approximately 68-72 wall holes @ 1 1/4" drilled, filled, and walls repainted;
          --Cleanup and final wall treatment where required, plus walk-through with you.
          --Approximately 6-7 days of labor; materials are half the costs.

Since its been only the bass that has been the problem, will this help at all?  I'm not going to say, "No" to them as they are paying for everything it is only my inconvenience for the days that the work is being done.
I was just trying to get set my own expectations as to how much help it will be.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Nisah

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »
It might help a little bit, but not much.  Ask if they'd also be willing to put another layer of drywall up, after filling the holes. 

anything