Author Topic: Sound absorption for drums  (Read 5006 times)

mspusf

Sound absorption for drums
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:03:08 AM »
Didn't see any other posts about this topic.  We ordered a new drum set for our church and want to figure out how to use foam or other materials for sound absorption.  We are purchasing a 5' sound shield which covers the front half of the drum kit.  The same company recommends several 4-5' tall sound absorber panels to go behind the drum set and 2' panels to go along the bottom half of the sound shield.  Are these necessary and how many?  The main issue is the cost of all these sound absorbers and I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or knows of a website to obtain reasonably priced sound absorbers as I mentioned.  The church building is relatively small holding about 200 people with wall directly behind the drum kit about 14' tall.  We plan on micing the drum set so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

Hickory_Stick

Re: Sound absorption for drums
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »
Didn't see any other posts about this topic.  We ordered a new drum set for our church and want to figure out how to use foam or other materials for sound absorption.  We are purchasing a 5' sound shield which covers the front half of the drum kit.  The same company recommends several 4-5' tall sound absorber panels to go behind the drum set and 2' panels to go along the bottom half of the sound shield.  Are these necessary and how many?  The main issue is the cost of all these sound absorbers and I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or knows of a website to obtain reasonably priced sound absorbers as I mentioned.  The church building is relatively small holding about 200 people with wall directly behind the drum kit about 14' tall.  We plan on micing the drum set so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

It would appear the reason for the absorber panels is to reduce reflection from the wall.  You can do this cheaply with heavy draperies such as found on the SSP website for $1 per inch of width or less.
See
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

I see Super Soundproofing has a web 2.0 on squidoo.com

http://www.squidoo.com/Mistakes-in-Soundproofing-Materials-Insulation/

One can leave comments there.

Interesting info.

Hick

anything