Author Topic: Brick Fireplace transmitting bass next door. Any ideas?  (Read 3586 times)

locode

Brick Fireplace transmitting bass next door. Any ideas?
« on: May 24, 2007, 02:52:18 AM »
Ok, so I'm in a duplex where the fireplace is backed onto each other. (neither fireplaces are operational due to a cracking problem somewhere in the chimney.) I'm renting.
The fireplaces both have glass doors. Recently I moved my music system speakers onto the fireplace ledge as it points them into the dining room, which I use for my computer room. Unfortunately this has caused the neighbors some concern as they have approached me with the concern that it's way too loud on their side. As they're really nice people, I don't want this to be a concern, and the easy solution of course it to move the speakers back where they were, and set up a 2nd pair in the dining room, etc etc. However it really is my preferred location for these speakers, so naturally my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about soundproofing a brick fireplace with glass doors?
The speakers are currently on stands, and I don't use a subwoofer, play my music very loud, or play very bassy music, but I can totally understand how the fireplace might be transmitting and even making worse the bass.
The description from my neighbor was that the sound is similar to when someone in a boom car drives by, all you really hear is the thumping bass but you can't even make out the music.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Brick Fireplace transmitting bass next door. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:59:41 PM »
Do an experiment.  Ask your neighbor to make some noise (TV, stereo, vacuum, etc.) and try to determine exactly where the noise is coming from.  You may simply have cracks that you need to seal up.  Or you may need to make a plug for the fireplace opening - this will also stop the hot/cold air escaping up the flue and save you money in the heating and cooling seasons. 

anything