Author Topic: Sound proofing on solid hardwood floor  (Read 3504 times)

herbolaryo

Sound proofing on solid hardwood floor
« on: May 27, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »
Project: Installing a 3/4" solid tietse rosewood hardwood on plywood subfloor of 2nd floor house.
Our concern are the noise when upstairs. When you walk, or play music upstair you can hear it underneath. When the washing machine is on, you can hear and feel the vibrations.

I was suggested the product floor muffler.
www.flooringunderlayments.com/floormuffler.html
I talked to the manufacturer. They said the product will work. They said the same material is also used in Lexus, Mercedes as sound proofing.

However, our installer said that the noise will just be transmitted thru the nail/staples.

Is this a good option for underlayment for sound reduction? ??? ???

Are there ways to reduce the sound upstairs? ???

johnbergstromslc

Re: Sound proofing on solid hardwood floor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:27:22 PM »
They're both right. 

Some noise will be transmitted through the staples/nails used to install 3/4" plank flooring, but a lot less than if you simply plopped the hardwood down on top of the subfloor.  The only way you'd be able to eliminate the vibration is have a true 'floating' floor - sheet(s) of plywood on top of a resilient layer, ensuring no contact between hardwood and the frame of the house - but that would raise both your floor height and costs significantly.  As for airborne noise (stereo), even a floating floor would have limited effect.

If it's in your budget, give it a try.   

Re: Sound proofing on solid hardwood floor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
Hi.  I am doing the EXACT same thing.  Same wood, same level in the house...everything.  I would love to hear how it turned out.  Please let me know.

thanks!