Author Topic: Help! MAny questions about noise from above  (Read 3507 times)

olliedoc

Help! MAny questions about noise from above
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:17:51 AM »
hello, all.  i hate to admit that it is comforting to find a group who shares and understands my pain.  my issue is a family with little children living above me.  they run back and forth--God help me! i am willing to tear down my ceiling and want to get people's opinions about these 2 options: what about quiet solutions or supress drywall that is supposed to provide 8x the soundproofing of regular drywall VS regular drywall lined with soundproofing mat lining.  fyi, i would like to maintain my high ceilings

1. any idea on what the difference in costs would be for 800sq ft unit?
2. which will have the best results
3. should i avoid contractors who have never worked with these products?
4. i've read that some of the sound dampening techniques convert noise from sound to heat waves.  Would that affect the climate control of my condo?

also, i am completely new to homeownership and definitely the concept of construction, what is this "hung ceiling" i've see mentioned?

additionally, i've heard that nothing will help impact noise from above except for having my upstairs neighbors rip up their floors and installing some type of foam or soundproofing padding under their new floors.  is this true?

Help!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Help! MAny questions about noise from above
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Personally, I'd avoid Quietrock or Supress.  Too expensive, too few contractors who know how to install it.  Also, to get good isolation, you'll pay 100 bucks for a 4' X 8' area (a 'regular' piece of drywall is 8-9 dollars).

As for the 'converting sound to heat', you're thinking of constrained layer damping, which both Quietrock and Supress use in their products.  Don't worry about the heat generated - it's tiny and readily dissipated in the structure.  Won't affect your heating/cooling load. 

A 'hung' ceiling is just that - the drywall is mounted on resilient channels, which help kill the noise/vibration.  Since you're willing to tear off your existing ceiling, get some insulation in the joist cavities before installing your channel or double drywall.  If you want, you can use Green Glue in between the sheet of drywall and pretty much create your own 'Quietrock' panel.  You'll need to seal the edges and electrical boxes, too.

Having your upstairs neighbors install thick underlayment is probably the best solution to impact noise, but a hung ceiling will certainly help. 

anything