Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: noise reduction from near air condition tower  (Read 5156 times)

ai

noise reduction from near air condition tower
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:12:42 AM »

There is a commercial air-condition tower making humming noises. It is not too bad usuallly in the summer time, but it gets louder and worse when it rains or snows. It gets definitely worse in the summer time. I can stand the nosie during daytime since the sound is blended with traffic noises. For some reason, I don't hear traffic noises from home very much. But the humming sound at night is killing me. I have complainted my city to do something. But a city inspector said he couldn't hear any noises at all . It was surprising. I don't think I am hallucinating~~....

Anyway, I am looking for solution to block the low frequency humming sound from outside. I looked at the way to block with windows plug and don't like the fact I can't open the windows any more.  I looked at some replacement windows from the post, but I am not sure that will be effective for low frequency

any suggestions?

johnbergstromslc

Re: noise reduction from near air condition tower
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »

Plugs should not be made permanent!  They should fit snug in the opening, but be removable.  In the heat of the daytime with the a/c going, it's doubtful you'll want to open your windows anyway. 

Otherwise, don't go with a 'replacement' window.  You need to install an additional window to really be effective.

ai

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:55:05 AM »

I am thinking of board to board fence (6 or 8ft) against the air con tower. I don't think this may not block, but hope this will reflect some of the noises....but not sure if this is effective way anyhow..

Does fence lessen the noises a bit?

joel

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »

For a solution at your windows - in addition to another window on the interior, add an inexpensive storm wintow (you can usually get these at a hardware store) to the outside of your window.  This will give you two inclosed air spaces - will help.
As for a wood fence - it will only deflect sound up and over the top.  8' is a minimum.  We have had customers use MLV on one side with excellent-to-acceptale results.  But since you're dealing with low frequency sound you may want to consider double wood screwed together with Green Glue damping compound sandwiched between.  Remember, you are dealing with sound that is being broadcast into an open air space - with no containment of the sound, just about anything you do at the receiver end is going to give pretty iffy results.