Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: My 4 hours of todays research  (Read 13954 times)

professorkev

My 4 hours of todays research
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:50:22 AM »

I discovered Living in Syracuse NY provides me with little selection with soundproofing windows.  My situation is that I just moved into a house , colnial. my master Bed has 3 windows , one which faces the New York State Thruway, which is 1/4 mile away.  Whine traffic noise drives me NUTS, so nuts I have to go to the guest bedroom with only one window.  So Window Shopping I will go.  I have decided against SPW.com, cost and feel regualr windows should work.

What I found is that Millgard seems to be king, BUT no service in NY state.  
?? Can I order these online somehwere?

I found Weathershield windows offer a Zoe-E-shield window that is new and claims superior quietness.  
?? Anyone hear about them?http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resources/product-news.asp?ID=390034&catCode=10

How are Jel-Welden windows

I can't find a online ordering for Loewen either.

Anyone have some suggestions?  Pending what I discover locally this week  I may resort to "The Plug" until I order windows.

Can Block winodws deaden the sound?

Skip

Re: My 4 hours of todays research
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:43:45 PM »

Unfortunately, the window industry does not have a very good infrastructure to supply real acoustic windows. We have many phone call requests for sound proof windows and try to do our best to refer individuals to a reliable source. For the most part, they get results like you have been getting.

For that reason alone, our Closed Cell Foam Window Plug solution sells very well in the market place.

Take a look at the following:/http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm.

professorkev

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:54:22 PM »

Even the Plug for 3x5 window Costs about $120-$150

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »

Assuming you have the old-style, hand-built single pane windows, then any double-glazed unit you replace it with will do a whole lot better in deadening sound.  Question is, will it be good enough?

Before you buy, you might want to check locally and see if any window manufacturer/distributor would be able to custom fabricate a double glazed unit with thicker glass - two sheets of 1/8" glass is better than what you have now, but two panes of 1/4" would be great.  Laminated glass would be better still.  It would be expensive, but if you only need to replace 3 windows, the investment might be worth it.  

professorkev

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:03:33 AM »

Well I am looking into what is being offered.  My Anderson Windows are 2 pane windows, wood and look nice BUT..

I still have to look into weathershield and I just found a local rep for the Loewen windows.

QUESTION: loewen offers a 3 pane window w/krypton U rating of 7.9 and stc 35
                      Also a Tranquility quiet window double pane with STC of 40 and u rating of 4
Bewteen the two, would one be better just getting the triple to further help on heat loss?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 04:45:36 AM »

As you can see by the lower STC value, a triple pane window doesn't necessarily deaden sound better than a double paned one.  In fact, for a given amount of mass, a double pane window, with a large airspace is best.  It's what is referred to as a 'double-leaf' construction, the most efficient for soundproofing.  But a large airspace is not good for thermal performance.  Convection currents develop between the panes and diminish performance.

Not sure how cold it gets in Syracuse (probably not as bad as Buffalo) but the triple panes might be a good investment.  But the 5 dB difference in performance will be noticeable.  

Honestly, if your windows are in good shape, keep them.  A better solution is to get double glazed 'replacement' or storm windows (much, much cheaper) installed in the same opening and do some good caulking.  With a decent airspace and both sets of windows closed, you could easily get an STC of 45+, far exceeding either of your two options.

Downside is, they don't look that great, especially in an older, historic house.  A 1/2" plexiglass window plug will also kill the noise, provided you have good perimeter weatherstripping and a tight fit.  A full sheet of acrylic (4' X 8') is about $250, maybe a bit less in the northeast.

wav3form

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 03:37:53 AM »

You cannot put a storm window or a second window in the same opening if you have standard window openings like most older homes do.  The framing just does not allow this.  Even if you find a way to put a second window in front of the original, it will stick out and look bad as it's not flush with the wall.  I don't understand where people get that all windows are in a deep opening that allows a second window to be flush with the interior wall.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

Older homes have notoriously narrow sills.  Newer houses, with 2X6 wall construction, sometimes have quite a bit of space to work with. 

wav3form

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »

Older homes have notoriously narrow sills.  Newer houses, with 2X6 wall construction, sometimes have quite a bit of space to work with. 

Unless these are custom homes, I've never seen a newer home with "quite a bit of space" in terms of window sills.

professorkev

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 03:12:39 AM »

Well I seemed to have narrowed it to 2 choices, the Weathershield triple pane or Laminated glass.  I like the look of their wood windows, priced at about $600 for a 33x54 window.  Also looking at Marvin double  glazed with one pane being thickker than the other and also a laminate pane.  will have the quote on Monday.

I am assuming the thicker pane or laminate is the way to go.

joel

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Glass block works great for soundproofing.  With them you have totally enclosed air spaces that are 3-5" dead air spaces and 1/4" thick molded glass.  STC's almost as good as solid CMU blocks (45 STC).