Author Topic: Solid wood door or Duracore polyurethane foam door?  (Read 19050 times)

Warder45

Solid wood door or Duracore polyurethane foam door?
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »
Hi.

I'm looking to replace my thin hollowcore door on my room. After looking around I found these 2 types of doors, and I wondered which one would be better.

Solid wood door from Home depot. It's made by a company called Jeld-wen. The girl I talked to on the phone said that any non-hollow core door gets their Procore: The silent door seal.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/interiordoors/flush/jeld-wen/product.cfm/product_id/111

The other type I ran into is at menards and is from a company called mastercraft.

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/ProductDetail.jsp?groupTypeID=0&lineID=16&productID=116&imageNum=5

Very little info can be found on the duracore doors.

So I thought I'd post here and see what you guys thought. Would solid wood block more sound then polyurethane foam?

Thanks - John

johnbergstromslc

Re: Solid wood door or Duracore polyurethane foam door?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:26:05 AM »
The solid core door will work better.  You might also want to add a second, 'back-up' seal and a good sweep.

joel

Re: Solid wood door or Duracore polyurethane foam door?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
Solid core wood door is definitely better - provided there are no inset panels.  If the door has inset panels then the thickness of those insets is the actual sound barrier potential of the door.  And, as John recommends, be sure to seal at bottom and sides/top at the face of the door stop to prevent any air leaks around the perimeter (if air can go through a space, sound goes with it).  Polyurethane foam core doors are good for thermal insulation but plyurethane foam does not block any sound - just ask the hundreds of people who have used "blue board" (at the recommendations of their "professional" construction people) to stop sound in their home music practice rooms.

anything