Author Topic: Soundproofing a ceiling with ductwork  (Read 3830 times)

dkehring

Soundproofing a ceiling with ductwork
« on: July 29, 2007, 07:21:35 PM »
Hi.

Here's my situation. I'm finishing my basement and want to reduce the noise coming from the upper floor. The upper floor is all hardwood floors. My plan was to install Armstrong ceiling tiles on the basement ceiling. This is not a drop ceiling rather 12"x12" tiles that would be stapled to furring strips run perpendicular to the floor joists. I thought I might be able to fill the joist cavity with sound control material and that would suffice but after reading a number of post I realize that won't do much. So, I could go the route of using RC but then I have the issue of how to attach the ceiling tiles - perhaps run furring strips over the channel? This poses some problem because my ceiling is rather low (7'6") but it might be workable.

In any case, the REAL problem is this. Ductwork runs down the length of the basement and creates a bulkhead about 4' wide and 12" below the joists leaving me with only 6'6" to the unfinished floor below this bulkhead. Therefore, I can't really add anything but 1/2" of drywall to the bottom of the bulkhead (I'm 6'4"). The question then is, if I go through all the effort to soundproof the ceiling, will it all be for naught because the ductwork bulkhead will compromise the integrity of the soundproofing? What options might I have? It's important to also know that I'm not expecting to eliminate noise from upstairs. I want to lessen as much as possible airborne noise but more importantly impact noise from the hardwood floors above. I'm also installing a surround sound system for my home theater in the basement and want to be able to crank up the sound but without overly disturbing anyone on the above floor.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing a ceiling with ductwork
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
It's generally considered that ductwork compromises the ceiling soundproofing job unless it can be boxed in and insulated somehow from the ceiling space.  It would appear you do not have enough ceiling height to float any kind of sound blocking under your joists anyway.

EArmuffs would be the only answer I can think of...

BJ