Author Topic: Alright here's my studio goals. you tell me the cheapest way to do it.  (Read 3844 times)

logansc

We have just bought some property and a plan to make a studio out of a large cinder block building with 5 windows and a large swinging door, as well as one regular door. I have looked through this site and others extensively so I already know the materials and have some ideas, but all of them seem to be geared toward very efficient soundproofing, and also they are meant to look good. I am definitely not concerned about looks. and I only need enough soundproofing to not completely disturb my renters. I am willing and plan on making some redneck solutions and contraptions. These are my goals.

Windows: I will be boarding the windows up to prevent theft of my recording equipment so I need some material to put inbetween the board and windows that will keep enough sound out to not completely bother the renters that will be on the property. I need something cheap, that will cover about 75 square feet worth of window. The options I have considered are studio foam which the cheapest combination of types and shapes and sizes I find to be about $150. Then I could just use a layer of the mlv stuff which I am unsure of how effective it is from the least thickness compared to the greatest, which to cover about 75 square feet would all be more than $ 300 and I am not sure exactly how effective 1/8 is compared to something thicker, but I only need to just dampen sound enough to make it tolerable, not unheard. Then I could use acoustic batting which might also help things thermally, I can't quite remember how that runs, and then there is super soundproofing mat which I am also unsure of exactly what thickness would be enough to do the job which seems like it could be of a similar cost to the mlv. Why is it that even basic foam rubber is so expensive these days?

Walls: I will probably just buy a $100 foam wedgy kit from somewher and some foam bass traps, and that will be enough

Doors: It seems like on the doors I could use mlv or super soundproofing mat.

Ceiling: Sure, I could have somebody come in and drop in acoustical tile, but this is what I was thinking, and you tell me if I'm an idiot. the ceiling has a ton of close togeth rafters and things, so could I just nail mlv up and roll it out instead of dropping in tile?

Enclosed space for computer: I have in there som large shelves about five feet up (more like 2x4's with some plywood on top runnin on the walls of most of the garage. I will rip most of it out, but plan to build a enclosed relatively soundproof space around my computer off the frame of one of these shelves. I think I will just use some plywood or soundcement stuff, and put that around the 2X4's and I have some old big pieces of smoked glass. I plan to use one of these so whoever is on the computer can see the people outside. The glass is about 3 inches thick so it has to be pretty soundproof right? So I will put a pane of glass in the box on the front and acoustic caulk everything well.  I will line the box with mlv or super soundproofing mat again, and put some mlv underneath to further the soundproofing. Does this sound like it will work to you?

Redneck soundcatchers: I plan on getting some plywood and standing two pieces upright on 2x4's and putting some wedgies and bass traps on them to put around whatever instruments are being recorded.

So, I realize that I have sorta planned these things out already. I need you guys to tell me if any of them won't work good at all, whether mlv or super soundproof mat is better in the applications they are talked about in, recommend any other options that might be better, and tell me exactly how much a 1/8" piece of mlv or super sound mat will do compared to something thicker. and tell me if it is not even good to nail mlv to things like I am planning.

So while answering these questions keep in mind that I care nothing about looks on this project, I only won't a decent enough level of soundproofing to the outside to not bother the renters too much (a little bothering is fine) and that the only things that matter are more the things for tuning the room for my recording like the ceiling.

I will be knocking this project out overtime, but the first thing I gotta do is the windows, because I will be boarding them up soon, so if nothing else tell me the best way to go on them. thank you, and I hope somebody will take the time to help me.

logansc

Re: Alright here's my studio goals. you tell me the cheapest way to do it.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:26:43 AM »
the moderators at least should answer this, because I'll probably end up buying multiple thousands of dollars of stuff off your site. come on.

joel

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »
"studio foam" is open cell - it will absorb reverberant echo.  It does NOT block any sound.  MLV in 1/8" thick gives 26 STC - in 1/4" (2LBS/ft2) gives 32 STC.  SSP Mat in 1/2" and above gives .30 NRC and 25 STC.  Bonded cotton insulation gives 1.15 NRC and 15-17 STC by itself.  For pricing see http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html  1" SSP Mat works best for "sound catchers" and inside contained spaces - like computer enclosure, window enclosure (outside wall window contraption).

logansc

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
okay, so it seems like i'll mostly use mlv, because the computer enclosure is going to be right beside very, very loud amps, and I don't want to have to kill my ears to drown them out with the headphones in their.

anything