Author Topic: Enclosure for CNC Mill  (Read 5170 times)

georgebarr

Enclosure for CNC Mill
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:13:23 AM »
I need to sound-proof a CNC machine mill.  The front and sides of the enclosure should be viewable from the outside looking inside.  This means I do not want to use the black foam material since it will obstruct the window view, except for the back and top sides of the enclosure.  The front door can be opened to gain access to the CNC mill.  My question is what kind of sound proofing techniques and materials should be used.

I was thinking of using the Window Plug method which is a second interior window.  Also, since the front door can be opened and closed, there will be small cracks that need to be sealed shut somehow.  My initial design is to use a double acrylic window with empty dead space in between.  If I am to use this method, does the thickness of the window matter and how about the distance between the two windows?  Are there better methods?

Thanks,

johnbergstromslc

Re: Enclosure for CNC Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
You're on the right track.

For a given amount of mass, the best soundproof partition is a 'double leaf', with significant airspace.

For best performance, use the thickest acrylic you can find/afford and the largest airspace practical. 

joel

Re: Enclosure for CNC Mill
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
. . . and make sure you seal the double wall acrylic barrier panels all around the edges.  They must be air-tight.  You can put some silica gel packs insider the contained space to prevent condensation.  Use minimum 3/8" thick.  Highway partitions of acrylic have been using 1" thick.