Author Topic: Air Ducts and Water pipes in rehearsal space  (Read 3190 times)

drumlaw

Air Ducts and Water pipes in rehearsal space
« on: August 31, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »
I'm soundproofing a small room in the basement of a 3 story house.  we have the walls covered.  My question is how best to insulate air conditioning and heating ducts that run along the sides of the room.  We plan to drop the ceiling below where these ducts are now, but I also think we need to wrap them in some real good material to make sure they don't carry sound throughout the whole house.  Right now, I'd say the heatings ducts are the primary reason why sound carries through the house.

Any ideas what the best materials are to insulate the heating ducts and big pipes in this room?

thanks

drumlaw

Re: Air Ducts and Water pipes in rehearsal space
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »
to clarify, we're putting up drywall w/spacing and curved insulation between the spacing of the drywall on all of the walls. I believe it's about 6" thick all around.  we'll probably do the same on the ceiling, boxing in the air ducts that go into the room.  However, we'd rather wrap the duct work now than have to go in after we've built out the room to retrofit it.  Within reason, this is a job where doing it right is a bigger priority than doing it as cheap as possible.

anything