Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Building soundproof windows  (Read 6235 times)

pxbaroni

Building soundproof windows
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:51:10 AM »

Hello,

I was reading several posts and was hoping someone may have some answers for me. 

I have brand new double hung, dual pane windows in a 1930’s house.  The walls are plenty thick and did not have any noise problems in the past.  I recently changed the windows out strictly for efficiency issues.  Originally this house had steel windows with interior aluminum storm windows…their ability to keep out hot or cold or condensation was terrible but they were far superior at keeping noise out than my new windows.  I realize now that this was probably due to the large 4 inch air gap between the two windows.  I wish I would have kept a few of the storm windows now.  :'(

I phoned a soundproof window manufacturer today and the price for the windows I need is rather high…plus shipping is crazy.  I am quite skilled with woodworking and mechanical details.  I also have plenty of area on my window sills to work with, some of my problem windows have almost 9 inches from window to edge of sill.   Here come the questions…Is it better to build your own or purchase?  I have done price checks on the laminated glass, and it is expensive in itself and heavy for me to build my own hinged interior windows.  Does laminated glass work better than acrylic? What is the best thickness glass or acrylic? Since density seems to be a big factor would thicker lighter acrylic be better than ¼ laminate glass? 

Any…and I mean any information you have would be great!  I have 15 windows I need to do, and 5 are larger 37 X 60 inch.  The others are longer narrower casement style.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Baroni

johnbergstromslc

Re: Building soundproof windows
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:39:48 AM »

You've hit the nail right on the head - it's mostly the airspace between panes that kills the noise.  Forget 'soundproof' windows - big rip off. 

You could try building your own windows, or you could get some ordinary (read: cheap) replacement windows and install them in the opening with as large as airspace is practical, or aesthetic.

Laminated glass is much better than acrylic; it's denser, plus you have a 'double leaf' effect - two sheets of glass separated by a plastic layer helping dampen vibration.  If you want to go with acrylic, 1/2" plexiglass is the minimum I'd recommend for a soundproofing application like this.  Go with overkill, that's my motto.  Better to spend a little extra money up front and get the best system you can than be disappointed and have to spend more money fixing it.... 

If you decide to build your own operable windows, just make sure your quality control is high and you end up with some good, tight sealing when the window is closed.   

gcgzxn

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:32:33 AM »

ok,this is a small problem,l 'm a chinese sound insulation material company,we sell all kinds of sound insulaiton materials and offer decoration technology.we like to give help to your problem.

joel

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

Some people have used an inexpensive storm window on the outside as well as an added laminated glass panel on the interior for great results with exceptionally loud outside noise.  Just be sure to have air spaces between all.