Author Topic: Recently purchased Condo  (Read 4930 times)

swingophile

Recently purchased Condo
« on: October 09, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »
  Similar to other posts, I have an inner, 'shared' wall problem.  I have a home theater sound system with 5 speakers and sub-woofer, and I didn’t buy all of this, and the huge TV, so I could wear headphones anytime I wanted it loud (as I’ve seen suggested).

I lived in a unit for 3 years that was straight down 8 floors down from where I live now, i.e. same floor plan, same shared wall, and no complaints.  Now I have neighbors who are complaining at the same noise level I generated in my previous Apt., even at 4pm.

I need to know what the best solution is for maximum sound reduction to them, WITHOUT completely tearing down and reconstructing the wall.  Can something be placed on the existing wall that would be effective?  Would putting the foam pyramids be effective?  Would it be more effective, if I combined that with MLV panels?  Would the best rated MLV panels be enough on their own?

Thank you very much,

johnbergstromslc

Re: Recently purchased Condo
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »
The least expensive solution for "maximum" sound reduction is to wear your headphones all the time; no sound for them, no money spent on your part.

No flimsy foam is gonna make any difference.  It might make your room 'deader' acoustically, but won't prevent sound transmission.

If you're really determined to kill the noise, you're gonna have to do it the dirty, expensive way - structural mods.

swingophile

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »
  I appreciate your response.  You can see my original post for how I feel about the headphone option:  "...I didn’t buy all of this (home theater sound system with 5 speakers and sub-woofer...so I could wear headphones anytime I wanted it loud."

Good information on the foam.  I guess my follow up to that, as per my original post; would the MLV panels be a good solution?  Mounted on the back of wall paneling, and mounted to the existing wall?  The only thing I'd really like to avoid is complete de-construction of the existing wall, and complete re-construction as per plans I've seen on the website.

I guess I'm looking for an idea of whether the results of the afformentioned MLV solution would be considered significant, reasonable or NOMINAL.

thank you very much

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »
You're talking about isolation of bass, and that isn't gonna be done with some flimsy sheet.  You need mass and decoupling to really do the trick.  1/8" MLV is only equivalent to 1/4" of drywall.  It's a lot cheaper to add extra sheets of drywall.

MLV will give you a false sense of security.  You'll think you're protected, but in reality, you're only gonna gain 1 or 2 points in STC.  A lot of money for little return.