Author Topic: insulation against drywall  (Read 3547 times)

mtags

insulation against drywall
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm building a room in my basement for band practice.  I have it all framed, and its time to start putting in the soundproofing. 

My plan is to put "Safe & Sound" insulation between the studs, then a vapour barrier, then recilent channel, then drywall.

Is there any advantage to a heavier vapour barrier than a lighter one, in regards to sound proofing?

Sound I ensure that the insulation does not come in contact with the drywall?  How big of a gap should there be?

Is there a significant advantage to adding the padded tape to the resilient channel?

Is there anything simple/inexpensive that I'm forgetting that will give my additional soundproofing?

johnbergstromslc

Re: insulation against drywall
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »
The thickness of the vapor barrier makes absolutely no difference to the level of sound isolation.

Not sure what 'Safe and Sound' insulation is, but if you use a soft batt insulation, it won't matter if it contacts the drywall or not - it won't transfer any sound as long as you don't compress the batt.

Padded tape on the resilient channel might help, but don't expect miracles.

You've got absorbtion and decoupling down, so make sure you double up the drywall for mass and do some good sealing and you're good to go.

mtags

Re: insulation against drywall
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »
The 'Safe & Sound' insulation is by Roxul (http://www.roxul.com/sw47802.asp), and it supposed to be good for sound absorbtion and fire protection.  It is made of mineral wool.

Thanks for the response.