Author Topic: Green Glue or QuietRock?  (Read 47571 times)

Seatac

Green Glue or QuietRock?
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »
So many options out there - it is so confusing! I'm trying to sound-proof a common party-wall with my neighbor... (bedroom against kitchen)... What could work better...
Green glue+5/8" drywall on existing sheathing wall OR Quiet Rock 525 on existing sheathing wall?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Green Glue or QuietRock?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »
Well, in the interest of fair disclosure, let me first say I'm vehemently opposed to the Quietsolution company - hate 'em!

In terms of honest product appraisal, either solution will work about the same.  But Green Glue will be a lot cheaper to ship, and if you screw up a piece of drywall, the error will only cost you 10-20 bucks, as opposed to $50+ for Quietrock.

What would work better is if you could tear off the existing drywall, get some insulation in the cavities and some resilient channels on the studs, or convert the wall into a staggered stud wall before putting any drywall up.  But it's not always feasible to go that far... 

Seatac

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
Well, in the interest of fair disclosure, let me first say I'm vehemently opposed to the Quietsolution company - hate 'em!

In terms of honest product appraisal, either solution will work about the same.  But Green Glue will be a lot cheaper to ship, and if you screw up a piece of drywall, the error will only cost you 10-20 bucks, as opposed to $50+ for Quietrock.

What would work better is if you could tear off the existing drywall, get some insulation in the cavities and some resilient channels on the studs, or convert the wall into a staggered stud wall before putting any drywall up.  But it's not always feasible to go that far... 

J.B;

Thanks so much for your input...I'm just left wondering why you don't like Quietsolution? Is there something not quite right with QuietRock or else? Could you please advise on this regarding?

Thanks again!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:36:18 PM »
Admittedly, I have limited exposure to the Quietsolution company, but it has all been negative.  I hate Quietsolution for their aggresive and deceptive advertising practices plus the fact that one of their marketing weasels routinely vandalizes the "Sound Transmission Class" wikipedia page (which I mostly wrote), turning it into a [bleeping] ad for their overpriced, overhyped Quietrock.

Most people looking to soundproof their houses are just looking to quiet down a room a bit so they can sleep or watch TV, but the Quietsolution dicks will try to convince you that you need recording studio-level soundproofing and they try to rip you off, big time. 

The Green Glue folks strike me as the opposite of Quietsolution.  They obviously want to sell you stuff and make a profit, but they are infinitely more honest about the effect and limitations of their product and will tell you that straight out.  The Quietsolution people would have no hesitation taking the shirt off your back. 

It's just my opinion, but go with Green Glue.  The 'hands-on' satisfaction of putting together the panels yourself is definitely worth it.         

Seatac

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »
Admittedly, I have limited exposure to the Quietsolution company, but it has all been negative.  I hate Quietsolution for their aggresive and deceptive advertising practices plus the fact that one of their marketing weasels routinely vandalizes the "Sound Transmission Class" wikipedia page (which I mostly wrote), turning it into a [bleeping] ad for their overpriced, overhyped Quietrock.

Most people looking to soundproof their houses are just looking to quiet down a room a bit so they can sleep or watch TV, but the Quietsolution dicks will try to convince you that you need recording studio-level soundproofing and they try to rip you off, big time. 

The Green Glue folks strike me as the opposite of Quietsolution.  They obviously want to sell you stuff and make a profit, but they are infinitely more honest about the effect and limitations of their product and will tell you that straight out.  The Quietsolution people would have no hesitation taking the shirt off your back. 

It's just my opinion, but go with Green Glue.  The 'hands-on' satisfaction of putting together the panels yourself is definitely worth it.         

J.B;

I really appreciate your input - Thanks so much...!!

joel

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »
Here's a little tidbit to chew on -
Quiet "glue" was originally invented by an old German guy.  He patented the visco-elastic material and sold it under the name "Noise Killer" for years out of his business in Arizona.  Just before the dot com crash in the early part of this decade, a group of dot com folks cashed out.  They bought the business, patents, equipment, and supplies from "Noise Killer" and moved it to Santa Clara in no cal.  Then they "erased" all the distributors of the product by selling it to the general public on line for less money than to the existing distributor network.  Then they got a lot of cheap laborers locally to make panels in their yard - stack of dry wall, roller on a long pole, roll it on one sheet and stack another on top, repeat and trim edges (by the way, according to an investor who was there recently, they still do it pretty much the same way, only now they do it inside the building).  Then they sold panels as "soundproof dry wall".  It's been rumored they even computer generated the first "lab test" results.  Put the pallets on trucks and sell them to your local building supply store.  Rake in the $.  Now they have even got the US Patent (family business) office to give them a patent (we didn't know they gave patents for a pre-exing method).

Fore a real comparison of quiet rock and Green Glue see this article 
http://www.greengluecompany.com/greenGlue-vs-FactoryDampedPanels.php

Quiet Solutions - great marketing and smart people
Green Glue company - great people, accurate and honest,. . . and solvent

jen8290

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »
I would recommend checking out Supress Products for soundproofing.

My mom had her house redone with their drywall and it came out great.

http://www.supressproducts.com

joel

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »
Supress Rock is made with Green Glue - so no wonder it works.  However we have heard that they skimp on the Green Glue - using a little over one tube per 4x8 sheet.

Comparisons of Quiet Rock and Green Glue - material, labor, waste, costs, etc. - all come out in Green Glue's favor. 

Using a "one piece" solution is attractive to dry wallers and others who are looking for easiest way to do something.  A systems approach is the most effective for real soundpooofing results.  People who use MLV and Green Glue together in a system get "spectacular" results.

midnight

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »
Hi..Jen8298:  did your mom have drywall placed over existing drywall?

thanks!

joel

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
Simply adding Suppress over dry wall adds mass to existing wall.  Mass helps 'soundproof'.  Depending on the type of noise you're dealing with, a better solution is to add a layer of MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) with pressure sensitive adhesive back (PSA) directly to existing and then screw in another layer of 5/8" fire code dry wall with Green Glue - this yields spectacular results.  For info on MLV see  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

anything