Author Topic: I feel so miserable  (Read 8703 times)

withsmile

I feel so miserable
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:22:48 AM »
I just moved in this apartment a month ago, still have 11 months left.  The upstairs old lady is a nice one, but she can't remember to take off her high heels when she's back at home.  It's the worst, thin, wooden floor.  Wake me up at midnight without any delay.  And she is a night person, 2,3 am is normal time back home.  Recently she's having some surgery going on, all her relatives and friends are here, 7+ people in a one-bedroom.  I've tried my best to endure the noise, but it seemed they all don't sleep at night.  After a week, I'm going crazy, without a single good sleep in a row, I fell sleep at work, can't focus, boss is giving me pressure...  My husband was trying to go upstairs to have a conversation with them, they said we are ridiculous, if we can't stand the noise, why not move out, THIS IS APARTMENT, then they slammed the door right in front of him.  I'm really desperate, early move out will cost me above 10k and I'm just fresh out from school, staying here will definately drive me crazy.  I've tried earmuff and everything, didn't help. What I did wrong to incur such bad luck... 

johnbergstromslc

Re: I feel so miserable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:28:34 PM »
Have an honest talk with your landlord.   He/she won't kick the lady out, or anything, but might be sympathetic.

There is an implied clause in your lease - the Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment.  Mainly it protects you from unwelcome intrusions by the landlord but it also says you have the right to occupy your apartment without being to extreme noise events like what you're experiencing.  Maybe he'd be willing to move you to another unit, preferably on an upper floor. 

If your landlord is a greedy dick who isn't interested in helping you, you might want to talk to a lawyer about breaking your lease and protecting yourself from the legal consequences, even with litigation, if necessary.

Don't expect your upstairs neighbor to change, though.  And it's not really her fault, either; I doubt she's making excessive noise.  It's the poor quality of the acoustically 'paper thin' buildings we've been building in this country.  Blame the greedy developers.  I do.   

parpl22

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »
I share your pain although my situation is reversed.

I own a two family home in Brooklyn NY.  I live on the first floor and rent the second floor apartment.

Shortly after my new tenant moved in this past August, I learned they enjoy staying up to 2 to 3 AM.

I approached my tenant several times asking them to be more considerate of my wife and I who have day jobs.  I also informed them of the provision in the rider that states they must put down area rugs.

It had taken them two and half months to actually lay down the rugs. 

The sound has not subsided much as the rugs do not cover enough of the floor and they are generally inconsiderate people.

There new thing is to complain about heat while they keep some of the apartment windows open.   >:( >:( >:(

If you'd like to swap apartments with my tenant I'd be happy to see if they'd be willing   ??? ???

ann123

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:33 AM »
Have an honest talk with your landlord.   He/she won't kick the lady out, or anything, but might be sympathetic.

There is an implied clause in your lease - the Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment.  Mainly it protects you from unwelcome intrusions by the landlord but it also says you have the right to occupy your apartment without being to extreme noise events like what you're experiencing.  Maybe he'd be willing to move you to another unit, preferably on an upper floor.
If your landlord is a greedy dick who isn't interested in helping you, you might want to talk to a lawyer about breaking your lease and protecting yourself from the legal consequences, even with litigation, if necessary.

This is excellent advice speaking from experience and the only real solutions for you.

rackims

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
I just moved in this apartment a month ago, still have 11 months left.  The upstairs old lady is a nice one, but she can't remember to take off her high heels when she's back at home.  It's the worst, thin, wooden floor.  Wake me up at midnight without any delay.  And she is a night person, 2,3 am is normal time back home.  Recently she's having some surgery going on, all her relatives and friends are here, 7+ people in a one-bedroom.  I've tried my best to endure the noise, but it seemed they all don't sleep at night.  After a week, I'm going crazy, without a single good sleep in a row, I fell sleep at work, can't focus, boss is giving me pressure...  My husband was trying to go upstairs to have a conversation with them, they said we are ridiculous, if we can't stand the noise, why not move out, THIS IS APARTMENT, then they slammed the door right in front of him.  I'm really desperate, early move out will cost me above 10k and I'm just fresh out from school, staying here will definately drive me crazy.  I've tried earmuff and everything, didn't help. What I did wrong to incur such bad luck... 
I am a veteran of neighbor annoyance, Im 29, and I think I may develope early heart disease because of the amount of intense hatred and anger I have for my ^@#&%^ing neighbors. But i do have some tricks up my sleeve. Go out and purchase 3 or 4 Honeywell table fans $9.99 each at walmart. Set them up around your apt, and have them run on full blast all the time. you may get the sense your in a factory or someplace, but its better than the thump! stomp! thud! #^@*&^ing sound of annoying neighbors, that can startle you everytime. Also earphones that hook into your tv or mp3player at the same time the fans are going. Ive written fake notes from my apt complexes managment saying there have been complaints, and taping them to the doors of my neighbors. Yeah!!!  Ive been going through some serious @#^@&it.

rackims

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:04:36 AM »
I am a veteran of neighbor annoyance, Im 29, and I think I may develope early heart disease because of the amount of intense hatred and anger I have for my ^@#&%^ing neighbors. But i do have some tricks up my sleeve. Go out and purchase 3 or 4 Honeywell table fans $9.99 each at walmart. Set them up around your apt, and have them run on full blast all the time. you may get the sense your in a factory or someplace, but its better than the thump! stomp! thud! #^@*&^ing sound of annoying neighbors, that can startle you everytime. Also earphones that hook into your tv or mp3player at the same time the fans are going. Ive written fake notes from my apt complexes managment saying there have been complaints, and taping them to the doors of my neighbors. Yeah!!!  Ive been going through some serious @#^@&it.
Make sure its Honeywell brand because they give off the best sound for screwing over the neighbors screwovers.Ha Ha...Honeywell fans sound like the fan over the stove, which to mention also should be running all the time. Also if you have an air conditioner put it on fan and run it on high. Sadly you may find even with all those fans going there are still moments when a neighbors decides to run down the hall, or someone drops a pan, try not to get angry, the screwover idiot neighbors will win if you give in to frustration. But this idea has worked waxing out 80% of the screwover noises coming from outside the places we quiet innocent people dwell. Apartments blow Rancor $%^$%ck.

joel

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
White noise machines (like Marpac) do not work for outside noise.  They are specifically desigbed for ambient office noise only.  Have you checked out the following web sites?
http://www.nonoise.org/
http://www.noiseconsultancy.com/
They may have some ideas of how to handle your neighbors and landlord.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »
White noise machines can be a godsend, especially if you adjust them correctly, but they won't do squat against a poorly-constructed building with inconsiderate noisy people.  Better to move in that case...

joel

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »
Wow, this is horrible - sounds like my neighbors.  Maybe they'll move like mine did.  When is your current lease up?