Author Topic: Resilient channels over existing wall?  (Read 7223 times)

Seatac

Resilient channels over existing wall?
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:12:45 AM »
I need to soundproof my bedroom wall before I have a mental breakdown. My neighbour just won't let us get a good night sleep. I cannot tear down the existing wall so I'm trying to find a good soundproofing solution while using the existing party wall.

Does anyone know if I can use resilient channels over the existing drywall? (I'm thinking of using resilient channels over the existing drywall and then adding one layer of 1/2" Celotex soundboard and finish with a new layer of 5/8" drywall). Does this sound OK?

I could also use two layers of drywall with GG on top of the resilient channels?

Please. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Resilient channels over existing wall?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:17:17 AM »
Keeping the old drywall is not a perfect solution, but you can only do what you can, sometimes...

I'm not sure resilient channels will work the way they're supposed to, applied face-on to drywall like that.  You might get as good results adding 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with a thick layer of Green Glue in between.  It certainly would be the simplest, most straightforward technique.

Also, if the noise level is still high, shop around for a white-noise machine to raise the ambient noise level in your bedroom.  I use mine every night and they can definitely help drown out any stray noise coming through the wall.

Seatac

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:40:36 AM »
Keeping the old drywall is not a perfect solution, but you can only do what you can, sometimes...

I'm not sure resilient channels will work the way they're supposed to, applied face-on to drywall like that.  You might get as good results adding 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with a thick layer of Green Glue in between.  It certainly would be the simplest, most straightforward technique.

Also, if the noise level is still high, shop around for a white-noise machine to raise the ambient noise level in your bedroom.  I use mine every night and they can definitely help drown out any stray noise coming through the wall.

J.B;

Thanks so much for your help. I think that I'll put aside the idea of using resilient channels. You do a great job on the forum, stay cool ok? Thank you again!

joel

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »
jb is correct - using resilient channel over existing dry wall is not the way to go.  It actually increases impact noise transfer and minimizes STC results.  For a great explanation of this see the article at http://bkl.ca/sites/bkl/files/resilient_channel_in_floor_assemblies.pdf
This simplest way to effectively soundproof existing dry wall is to use Green Glue sandwiched between an additional layer of 5/8" fire code dry wall.  For Green Glue info see http://www.soundproofing.org/ggpages.htm

anything