Author Topic: Thinnest cheapest sound treatment for party wall?  (Read 2904 times)

nasdaddy

Thinnest cheapest sound treatment for party wall?
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »
I am looking to increase sound insulation on the plaster and loosely packed concrete party wall between my house and the adjoining semi-detached home. You can hear voices quite clearly, particularly male voices with bass. It also seems like sound also travels along the ceiling rafters, which may be running continuously through the houses.

I am looking for a cost and especially space efficient solution, because the rooms are quite small, and I don't want to remove the old wooden baseboards and plaster. I am considering MLV, cork sheets, or foam sheets (open-cell is better i believe) followed by 1/4" drywall (I can't put much more thickness than that), or 1/2" Quietrock. I will also put Roxul Safe n Sound between the rafters.

Any thoughts on which of these (cork, MLV, foam, Quietrock) would work best? Any other suggestions?
thanks
Dan

johnbergstromslc

Re: Thinnest cheapest sound treatment for party wall?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »
Quietrock might work for your space, but it sure isn't the 'cheapest' solution, not by a longshot. 

Insulation in the cavities will help, but foam and cork are worthless.

You could hang MLV loosely, like a curtain and get some benefit, but it wouldn't be pretty.