Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Plexiglass Acrylic vs. Vinyl Glazed for window inserts?  (Read 16330 times)

savvymom

Plexiglass Acrylic vs. Vinyl Glazed for window inserts?
« on: December 11, 2007, 11:59:16 AM »

In my research I discovered a company called www.windowinserts.com. They offer a product that has 2 different clear vinyl glazing options, an 8 mil  and a heavier 20 mil polyvinyl film. The 8 mil is optically cleaner than the thicker 20 mil, which is used mostly for noise reduction. How is this product different than an acrylic plexiglass 3/8" recommended to use with the Magnetseal frames? By reading their website their product is primarily for energy saving but claim that the inserts reduce noise as well.   

johnbergstromslc

Re: Plexiglass Acrylic vs. Vinyl Glazed for window inserts?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »

20 mil?  Skip it.  It won't do a damn bit of good.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »

20 mil?  Skip it.  It won't do a damn bit of good.

Regarding this post, I was referring to the sound isolation of this product, not the thermal insulation properties, of which I am unfamiliar. 

I believe EnergySavr is primarily for reducing the heat loss of old, drafty single-glazed windows.  But such thin plastic cannot be considered a good soundproofing material. 

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:22:34 AM »

While the windows inserts discussed here are primarily for thermal insulation, the addition of the plastic, however thin, would add to the noise reduction of the assembly.  (Something is better than nothing).

Another little known fact is that the addition of the plastic to the window provides a dampening effect, reducing the ability of the window-glass to vibrate, therefore passing sound less.

Reading such vibrations with a laser is the basis for monitoring conversation in a room.  Addition of a thin plastic reduces the vibration thusly reducing the sound transfer, thereby making such intrusions more difficult, it is said.

Tests we have made with a heavier plastic (.020 and .040) have shown a substancial sound reduction through the glass.  We mention
this  on our webpage at: http://soundproofing.org/infopages/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm  (Item 7)

We have not brought the product to market yet because of inability to determine the long term yellowing of the product due to UV.  However we have sold this plastic for this purpose at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

The window insert people are not touting their product as a soundproofing solution, but the underling advantage may well be positive. 

Only testing will tell.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »

I agree that 'some is better than none', but in terms of decibels per dollar, it's a pretty lousy investment.  A person could find a local plastic company and fit 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic to each window and get infinitely better soundproofing.