Author Topic: Help on Soundproofing Law  (Read 3544 times)

elizabeth532

Help on Soundproofing Law
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »
Hi

I live ins  basement flat and my neighbours moved in a few months ago. We both own our flats and are leaseholders. when they moved in they ripped up their capets and have laid floorboards without any soundproofing. We have lived with the constant noise of their footsteps for months but it is now getting really annoying.

I read our lease recently and it says that unless there is adequate soundproofing people should have all floors carpetted. Any advice on how I should approach this with them? Shall I ofer to pay half or is it their responsibility? Id they don't want to rip up their newly laid floorboards do I contact a soliticor?

Any advice would be welcome

thanks

bjnash

Re: Help on Soundproofing Law
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »
If there is a committee assigned to look after these things, you should contact them.  Use diplomacy with the neighbors, like having one come down to visit while the noise is at it's worst.  DOn't go to the solicitor unless all else fails.  You may want to have a look at the "No Noise" organizations website: www.nonoise.org  You may have to control the noise from your side in the ceiling.

BJ Nash