Author Topic: Soundproofing an RV bedroom  (Read 5431 times)

rvlady

Soundproofing an RV bedroom
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:03:30 PM »
We've recently purchased a 5th wheel RV, and the bedroom is not as quiet as we would like--there's a lot of outside sounds (traffic  noise, etc.) that we'd like to reduce. We've determined that most is  not coming through the windows, but through the thin side walls. Obviously, we can't add anything to the outside, as it has a gel-coat, so we need a solution that is workable for the inside.  The walls have a type of wallpaper-covered panelling, with light switches, wall-mounted cabinets, etc. that we'd  have to deal with.  Any ideas?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing an RV bedroom
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »
Well, I don't claim to be an unending fountain of ideas, but your situation is tough.  Basically you need lots of mass to block noise.  The thin sheet metal aint doing squat (the denser laminated safety glass is blocking sound more effectively, as you've determined)  and you'd probably have to add a significant percentage of the weight of the trailer in interior panels to get good attenuation there.  You'd definitely decrease your fuel economy and probably the stability of the trailer, too.

If the RV isn't designed to be quiet from the outset, it's very difficult, almost impossible to retrofit it, unless you enjoy gutting and rebuilding the inside.

I recommend earplugs/earmuffs. That's about all I've got.
www.soundproofing.org/sales/ear_muffs.htm

anything