Author Topic: applying the soundproofing foam mat directly to wall  (Read 5204 times)

Bouje

applying the soundproofing foam mat directly to wall
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:08:38 AM »
I live in a house/duplex type situation where one wall is shared with another tenant.  As I type, I can hear him snoring.  It's a dull snore, but still recognizable.  By the way, this house was built in 1932, and there is also a door on the shared wall that apparently has been sealed in some way.  I'm pretty sure this makes the noise situation worse.  Also, I can hear his TV.  None of these noises are very loud, but then again I'm not sure how loud he has it over there to begin with.  The first night I was here, I was telling some friends in just a normal voice to listen to his TV.  it wasn't all that loud, but apparently he heard me and turned it down.  Anyway, here's my plan.  I simply want to take the Soundproofing Foam PSA and stick it directly to the wall, covering the wall completely.  Is this a bad idea?  Should I stick it in wood first and then nail it to the wall?

Thanks

joel

Re: applying the soundproofing foam mat directly to wall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
You can stick it directly to the existing wall and covered door area.  Be sure to use contact cement on the edges as you butt each run together.  It is important to cover the entire area with no gaps, not even at the perimiter where material meets the floor/ceiling/walls adjacent to the treated wall.  Use at least 1" thick SSP Mat (thicker is better) as this will give you 25 STC sound blocking.
If you decide to use panels with the SSP Mat then do it like this:
"Portable panels: If you plan on moving but still want some immediate relief from sound  annoyances, make some portable panels you can take with you. Buy 4'X8' wall paneling (also called "Panel-board".  "Homasote" and ordinary "Soundboard" also works well.) from the hardware store and attach Super Soundproofing Mat to the backside with contact cement.   Use at least 1" thick material. (PN 09-42730).  (Well, OK, 1/2" may work pretty good, too).  Push the panels up into place on your wall using a long finishing nail here and there to hold them in place.  (Tip: seal the edges of your panels with our acoustical caulk for best results).  A noticeable sound level reduction will be made and you can take your panels with you!  For even more reduction, buy low-cost acoustical ceiling tiles and attach them to your walls first.  You can leave them behind because they are so inexpensive.  (So is a material called "Wonderboard" Also Duroc,  which is made of concrete!).  Caulking around the edges of your panels as mentioned above is essential."

anything