Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good white noise machine?  (Read 9756 times)

ann123

Can anyone recommend a good white noise machine?
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:55:17 AM »
I need something to block out heavy banging and construction noise. Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Can anyone recommend a good white noise machine?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:29 PM »
I've only ever owned one, but it works great.  Inexpensive, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-White-Machine-Screen-Conditioner/dp/B000BQYP1S

Caution, though - it's not gonna totally 'block out' the noise, but it will make it less annoying.

ann123

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:38:51 AM »
Hi John, thank you for always answering my questions so kindly.  Actually I purchased the Marpac months ago and then returned it because it wasnt loud enough :  )

But I appreciate the help so much.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:03:51 PM »
Wow, you do have a bad noise problem.

I know that there are cd's of white noise that you can put in your stereo and crank, but I couldn't tell you where to find them.  I seem to remember a previous post mentioning it - see if you can do a search, both on the forum here and google.

Good luck.

ann123

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »
Many thanks to you.  You are very kind to care.

QuietPlease!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
I purchased a TEAC kitchen clock/radio/cd player combo that also plays mp3s. I play "white noise" and adjust the bass and treble to get just the coverage I need. 

I have a problem with thoughtless neighbors who are very loud and also slam their kitchen cabinet doors. Any cd will mask their talking/tv/loud music, but impact noise (banging and slamming) is tougher. To cover that I play "medicine drum" cds. These combine nature sounds with a soothing, rhythmic "heartbeat" drumming. The pounding and slamming sort of disappear into the drumming.

Here's a website where you can try mixing your own drum whitenoise http://www.soundsleeping.com/ I can connect my TEAC directly to my computer play whatever I mix up from this site.

I also have a "big band" cd with lots of drumming that works on weekend evenings when they get really crazy.

It doesn't help when I'm trying to sleep, and I know the only long term solution is major soundproofing. But it does make the daytime hours less stressful.

tacobar

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
Hi Ann,

I don't know if white noise will help you when it comes to construction.  I've slept with a white noise machines for years, and I have a crappy Conair which works fine for me.  I got mine at drugstore.com. 
It can get pretty loud as well.  But that really works to drown out neighbor's voices and slamming doors.

I have another clock radio from Timex that has nature sounds, and it has a silly wind chime that may work better with construction.  I got that at Costco for $19.99.  The windchimes soothes my nerves because it does remind me of a sunny lazy Saturday afternoon. 

Oh, the things we do to deal with living in an urban jungle. 

Good luck!

Vivian

jen8290

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
I use the same Timex one from Costco!
Has worked great so far.

joel

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
As all who have commented above have verified, white noise machines are not designed to solve construction or street noise problems (their best use is for office environments - conversations and background noise).  Try an acrylic window insert on the inside of your existing window - that should block out 60-80% of the noise.  Here's a link which discusses a couple:  http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm