Author Topic: Use of Quiet Rock in a band practice room  (Read 5752 times)

ksdrumm71

Use of Quiet Rock in a band practice room
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:48:02 PM »
I'm looking to soundproof and ovesized shed I just had built.  I was checking out a few soundproofing sites when I came across the Quiet Rock page on the Quiet Solutions site.  I checked out every part of the site and it seems to be a really good way for me to soundproof my space.  However, before I drop the cash for this product I want to know if anyone has used it in a practice space situation and I want to now how well it works? 

Thanks for any and all feedback,
Kevin

johnbergstromslc

Re: Use of Quiet Rock in a band practice room
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »
Well, Quietsolution posts acoustical tests of their product on their website, so find the wall configuration that matches yours, then subtract 5-7 points of STC for real-world conditions.

Just a matter of how much isolation you want vs. how much money you have to spend.

ksdrumm71

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »
Thanks John for your input! 

I've already contacted Quiet Solutions and gotten a quote from them, but they haven't been able to give me any information on how their product works in a live (band practice room) situation.  What's your take on MLV?  Is this a beter product and does it work better than Quiet Rock?  I understand if I use MLV (and purchasing the iso tape, acoustic caulk, and green glue to get more mass by doubling up the drywall/sheet rock ) that I'll still need to buy drywall/sheetrock, but the overall cost will be about the same as purchasing the Quiet Rock.  Do you have any suggestions?

Kevin

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:59:48 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using MLV unless you know someone experienced at installing it.  You'll make enough mistakes to negate it's value.

Personally, I wouldn't go with Quietrock.  Again, too much opportunity for costly mistakes. 

ksdrumm71

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
What materials would you suggest I use to soundproof my small building?  If Quiet Rock is to costly and MLV needs a pro to install, what other options do I have?
Kevin

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »
Give Green Glue a try.  Advantage of GG is that you can cut the drywall first and make sure it's gonna fit before applying the expensive stuff.  With Quietrock, a cutting mistake could cost you $50+. Using regular drywall and Green Glue, a mistake is only $8-10, and you can probably reuse the waste piece elsewhere.   

ksdrumm71

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »
I actually contacted the Green Glue company today and they suggested for my sitation I use 3 layers of drywall with GG in between each layer for the walls and two layers of drywall with GG in between for the ceiling.  This seems like a much more cost effective solution for my situation.  Spending between $6-$10 for drywall as opposed to spending $2000 to $3000 for expensive products that will give you the same results as the traditional drywall.  The guy from the GG company also suggested using 1x3 woodfurring strapping over the studs (24" on center going horizontal across the studs) before I install the 3 layers of drywall.  He said this would give me the space needed for deadening the sound.  Any thoughts....

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
Sounds good - they would know.  Just pay careful attention to insulation (fill those cavities) and sealing and you should get some good results.

For the ceiling, I wouldn't go with furring.  What works much better is isolation clips and hat channel. You can buy both right here on this site.