Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Performance of Acrylic Windows  (Read 6472 times)

peterk

Performance of Acrylic Windows
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:14:23 AM »

I am planning on installing the MAGNETSEAL sound control window system using 3/8" acrylic panels.  My question is:  what is the performance difference in a 1", 2" or 3" air gap between the windows?  Due to my current window blinds, I'm considering mounting them with only a 1" air gap to avoid changing the window coverings.

Also, are these windows better at blocking high or low frequencies?  Or do they block all frequencies equally well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

johnbergstromslc

Re: Performance of Acrylic Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:44:03 AM »

As for the airspace, the bigger the better.  But you could probably live with 1".

Any material is better at blocking high frequencies.  The lower frequencies have much greater energy and can penetrate better.

If possible, try to get some absorptive material in the cavity.  That will help kill some of the resonance.

peterk

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »

Thanks for the help.  A couple more questions:

1.  Concerning absorptive material, can you be more specific?  How much?  Where to place between the windows, etc.

2.  What is the best method of attaching the L bracket?  If I want to use glue instead of screwing in place, what type of construction adhesive is the best choice?  With 46" X 22" windows sitting on the sill, will glued L brackets be strong enough?

Thanks again,

Peter

Mark Daveis

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »

An air space of less than 2 inches will act as a solid due to mass spring effect so I would go with a a 2 inch plus air space and most likely about 3 or 4 inches if you can.
With a smaller than 2 inch airspace your low frequency performance will be less. A decent airspace is needed to reduce LF sounds and Loud sounds.
High frequency noise can be mostly blocked with enough mass but you need a good air space to block LF or loud music.
Insulation in a window is difficult because you wont be able to see through if you fill the whole thing!!! :)

admin

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 02:47:26 AM »

Thanks for the help.  A couple more questions:

1.  Concerning absorptive material, can you be more specific?  How much?  Where to place between the windows, etc.

2.  What is the best method of attaching the L bracket?  If I want to use glue instead of screwing in place, what type of construction adhesive is the best choice?  With 46" X 22" windows sitting on the sill, will glued L brackets be strong enough?

Thanks again,

Peter

Any kind of foam glued around the frame inside the airspace will help absorb sound in the cavity.  1" thick would do.

You can use any kind of glue, I prefer "Goop" form the hardware store and yes glued brackets will be strong enough as the plastic sheet will be sitting on the sill, not supported by the l-brackets.

bj

joel

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »

The best foam to use inside the the enclosed air space is a closed cell vinyl nitrile foam.  See this link (first product shown)
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

Michael R

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »

Your best chose is closed cell vinyl nitrile foam to use inside the enclosed air space and you need 1-1/2" or 2" thick foam this way you'll get up to 60% of sound reducing effect. 
See this link for details:
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

joel

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

People who have used the magnetseal solution with 3/8" acrylic and minimum 2" air gap have reported "dramatic" results - 60 to 80% noise reduction.  Using the closed cell vinyl nitrile foam to line the inside perimeter of the enclosed space gives you the best results.