Author Topic: Townhouse condo, cath celings, music from floor below  (Read 3918 times)

Mary Canigiani

Townhouse condo, cath celings, music from floor below
« on: December 18, 2000, 10:26:08 PM »
I have become sick from sleepness nights by a very rude neighbor.  I live in a three floor townhouse condominium. My bedroom is on the third floor and the living room on the second, and I believe the next door unit is the same. Her sterom and tv are in her living room and I am kept awake all hours of the night by them. What is my best material for eliminating this noise? They are very nice first class condos, yet my cash flow is very poor.Will doing something to the wall, without the floor really help me? I don't want to cheapen the look of the unit because I mayhave to resell someday and this is all I have.  I do have the extra room to build a false wall if necessary.The bedroom has cathedral ceiling. If I find a contractor - how can I gage the price or how many hours it should take hime to do the work? As a person alone, I fear I will be taken advanage of.Is it possible to gert some kind of kit or instructions where I could do some of it myself - no, I am not handy, just desperate.  What percent relief cpould I expect with differnt products?Even though th sound is cominmg from the floor below mine next door - the sound I hear is coming thru my bedroom wall, does not sound like it is below me. thanks you so much as I have made myself very sick over this rude pig that lives next door.  

bjnash

Re: Townhouse condo, cath celings, music from floor below
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2000, 05:55:27 AM »
: I have become sick from sleepness nights by a very rude neighbor.  I live in a three floor townhouse condominium. My bedroom is on the third floor and the living room on the second, and I believe the next door unit is the same. Her sterom and tv are in her living room and I am kept awake all hours of the night by them. What is my best material for eliminating this noise?
Knowledge is power: Get the book http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/EPAmanual.htm

They are very nice first class condos, yet my cash flow is very poor.
Will doing something to the wall, without the floor really help me?
YES
I don't want to cheapen the look of the unit because I mayhave to resell someday and this is all I have.  
The problem you solve will far outway this problem!  You will actually add to the value of the unit.
I do have the extra room to build a false wall if necessary.The bedroom has cathedral ceiling. If I find a contractor - how can I gage the price or how many hours it should take him to do the work?
Simple, get several bids
As a person alone, I fear I will be taken advantage of.
Get outside help. (US)
Is it possible to get some kind of kit or instructions where I could do some of it myself - no, I am not handy, just desperate.  
Sure, use us for advice!
What percent relief could I expect with differnt products? Even though the sound is cominmg from the floor below mine next door - the sound I hear is coming thru my bedroom wall, does not sound like it is below me. thanks you so much as I have made myself very sick over this rude pig that lives next door.  
The sound may be ducted up thru the wall.  There are methods to deal with this.  Take control, do it yourself!
Get the book mentioned below as a start!

anything